General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dst87
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:19:07
Print Post

ESPOL rollout

[link to this post]

We've been waiting for a while now for our exchange (ESPOL) to finally be enabled for FTTC services, and naively assumed that we'd have fibre soon after it was enabled.

As far as I can tell from putting random postcodes into the availability checker, only one cabinet that I can find is enabled. We're cabinet 26, and can see markings on the pavement at the end of the road showing (I assume) markings leading from the current cabinet to where I assume the new fibre cabinet will be installed. I had assumed this would mean it would be here shortly.

Does anyone have any information on this, or is there a list of all cabinets in an exchange area with current availability status. I'd love to be able to check on how the rollout in our exchange is progressing (if at all) but this information doesn't appear to be easily accessible.

Why does it take them so long - it's incredibly frustrating, and after FTTC is enabled we STILL won't have speeds equivalent to what we used to get when we lived in a Virgin Media house... 5 years ago!! Seems like the UK will be left in the dust with this rollout of technology that already seems redundant.

/rant
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Oct-15 15:19:24
Print Post

Re: ESPOL rollout

[re: dst87] [link to this post]

FTTC never arrives on an exchange wide basis, it is done cabinet by cabinet.
So from first cab to last cab might be five years, i.e. depends on the position of a cabinet in any planning list.

As far as am aware cabs

3, 4, 11, 27 have plans under the first rollout phase of Digital Scotland.

Cabinet 26 is live and its old PCP is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9849291,-3.7408845...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html is the place to check your address, example output for an address on the cabinet is

Address XX ALLISON CRESCENT, REDDING, FALKIRK, FK2 9FB on Exchange POLMONT is served by Cabinet 26

FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.7 50.9 20 13.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.5 35 19.9 9.6 -- Available

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dst87
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 15:24:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oops. I meant to say that we're 24. 26 is the cabinet that we found that was enabled.

I'm amazed that ours isn't in the plans, given the markings etc. on the pavement. Seems like they're just about to install the new cabinet and we've had loads of instances where Openreach vans with massive coils of cable have been parked right outside the existing cabinet. I don't know what that means.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 04-Oct-15 15:34:02
Print Post

It seems to be in plans for a later stage. Is this on a new build estate?
Standard User dst87
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 15:36:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It seems to be in plans for a later stage. Is this on a new build estate?

What does? Cabinet 24? We're in a new build estate, but so is 26 which is the active one. Both developments are still being built.

What baffles me is that any housing company is allowed to build these days without fibre to the premises. Cost of installation during a new development must surely be trivial.

Annoyingly the houses just before the start of our development have Virgin Media cable. Why Kier Homes didn't have them install their service I've no idea. So frustrating!
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 16:02:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also seems that cabinet 27 has 2 DSLAM's unless the BT DSL Checker has an error.
Also the second one cannot be fully checked due to the classic "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker. " but by entering postcode FK2 9TL into the BT DSL Checker you can see two DSLAM's listed.
They do also have different NADKeys and what I presume a UPRN.

[DSLAM 27] (postcode FK2 9TL)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NNCOLG, JENKINSON DRIVE, REDDING, FALKIRK, FK2 9TL on Exchange POLMONT is served by Cabinet 27

Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NNCOLG, JENKINSON DRIVE, FALKIRK, FK2 9TL on Exchange POLMONT is served by Cabinet 27
The BTOR Where and when page says the same.

I can also confirm cabinet 26:
[DSLAM 26] (postcode FK2 9FD)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NNCOJP, JARVIE ROAD, REDDING, FALKIRK, FK2 9FD on Exchange POLMONT is served by Cabinet 26
That's all I found on a very quick check.

Paul
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Oct-15 09:05:23
Print Post

Cab 24 is planned. Probably start work by the end of this year

Edited by Ribble (Mon 05-Oct-15 09:14:49)

Standard User Steuart64
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 13:43:40
Print Post

Ive moved into the Polmont area and shocked at the lack of High Speed BB. Im served by Cabinet 22 but cannot find any info despite seeing vans at the cabinet over the last 3 weeks and the whole area barriered off for a time as they were excavating. Is that progress?

Frustrated on slow BB again! Why did I move - wrok wasnt the driver (I wish!)

Edited by Steuart64 (Mon 30-Nov-15 13:46:07)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Nov-15 15:38:55
Print Post

[re: Steuart64] [link to this post]

Yes, cab 22 is at an advanced stage . still work to do though
Standard User dst87
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 17:32:36
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Interesting to see the developments. We're cabinet 24 (as I mentioned above) and we've now got serious work happening at the end of our street with diggers and workers. I'm not there at the moment, but one of my neighbours said they spoke to an engineer and was told that everything is now connected so hopefully it should go live soon?

Any idea how long it should take from this point? I'm checking the DigitalScotland website, the Sky availability checker (my current provider) and the BT checker on a daily basis!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to