General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User conanius
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 23:26:39
Print Post

Openreach Database Error... I think?

[link to this post]

Weird one.

Currently a VMG Cable customer. House has a BT Line physically connected - via telegraph pole, same as the whole street - and the cab is literally 10 meters from my drive.

About 3 months ago, Openreach were fitting a new cab. I nipped out, and it was for FTTC, I checked 'is that for our side of the road?' and he said 'yep, it connects directly to that telegraph pole over there'.

Since then, I've had a letter 'YOU CAN GET FIBRE !!!' come through, however, when I go to order with _any_ provider, my address either isn't listed (just my house) or it says i can only get ADSL.

Every single house within my postcode (including my direct neighbours which are connected from the same telegraph pole) can all get FTTC.

When I try to check on BT Wholesale ADSL checker I get :

"Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker."

Doing the Postcode check says I can't get fibre...

I'm guessing this is some weird issue where I've got a corrupt entry on my Openreach database entry, but I'm seemingly not able to contact them directly.

When I've spoken to my employer - who now offers Fibre - they are stuck and seemingly I need to find 'the right guy or girl' who can call Openreach and ask whats going on.

Anyone here got any contacts at Openreach who could try to work out What The... is going on please?
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-15 03:09:35
Print Post

Re: Openreach Database Error... I think?

[re: conanius] [link to this post]

When you see Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker. you need to check by phone number.

Never use the postcode checker, you have to either use the address checker using the postcode and then selecting your address from the list or use the phone number.

Oh and PM sent with BT Openreach contact info.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 05-Oct-15 03:10:24)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 05-Oct-15 06:50:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by conanius:
Weird one.

Currently a VMG Cable customer. House has a BT Line physically connected - via telegraph pole, same as the whole street - and the cab is literally 10 meters from my drive.
Not really.

Your phone isn't connected. You need a working phone line to get FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User conanius
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 09:14:55
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
When you see Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker. you need to check by phone number.

Never use the postcode checker, you have to either use the address checker using the postcode and then selecting your address from the list or use the phone number.

Oh and PM sent with BT Openreach contact info.

Paul

Thanks for the reply.

The only number I have is for my Virgin Media line. I have no idea what the BT Number would be - when I moved in, I had Virgin Media.

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."

Thats what I get when I use the Virgin Media number,which is obviously no huge surprise.

The other message is what I get when I put my house number and postcode in.

Thanks for the PM, will check in a second
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Oct-15 09:19:06
Print Post

Full address i.e. house number and postcode should still work even if you don't have an active telephone line.

In the past the ISP side work around is to order ADSL get this installed and working and then once databases update to order FTTC.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:06:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Full address i.e. house number and postcode should still work even if you don't have an active telephone line.

In the past the ISP side work around is to order ADSL get this installed and working and then once databases update to order FTTC.
They already tried that which resulted in Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.

I have seen that happen a lot during all my checks, where some addresses result in the above message, some times this only happens for a few days, but I do have some that been like that for several months and "sometimes" even the actual BT phone number also results in that message.

I have always put that down to either BTOR doing some changes in the database or even possibly an error in the database.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:39:50
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

As I said the ISP has to earn their bit of money in these cases rather than computer says no, you've given the person OR contact details, so won't offer help too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:44:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As I said the ISP has to earn their bit of money in these cases rather than computer says no, you've given the person OR contact details, so won't offer help too.
I totally agree, they asked for contact info so I gave it to them.
As for reporting a database error, I have always reported database errors to BTOR via emails and they then fixed it, so it doesn't hurt trying.

Oh and you forgot the COUGH after the "computer says no" tongue

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to