General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigpapanoodle
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 13:25:29
Print Post

Do I still need a separate modem

[link to this post]

Hi everyone..Cannot believe I joined this site back in 2005 and this is my first post! Anyways, it is my hour of need I seek some good advice.
Just had FTTC fibre broadband installed by PlusNet. it came with a BT Openreach modem and a Plusnet 2704n 4-port wireless router. Despite claimed speeds of up to 78Mbps, the best I get is about 20 to 30. Personally I don't think the basic hardware supplied is up to it.
I am looking for an upgrade, preferably a "one -box" solution (if such a thing exists) with dual band connectivity. I have looked at various routers but they all require a separate modem.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Oct-15 13:31:50
Print Post

Re: Do I still need a separate modem

[re: bigpapanoodle] [link to this post]

There are a few about, we use some of the Vigor ones, but to be honest we have normally found the openreach modems to be about the best.

Run a BT Perfomance test and do the further diagnostics as this will show if the issue is throughput or connection/profile.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Oct-15 13:41:31
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

If using wireless then all bets are off, best to double check speeds using Ethernet cable and also test the speeds from the test socket, since with FTTC extension wiring can have a big effect.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Oct-15 13:48:25
Print Post

Describe your set up please, as this being done incorrectly is a very common cause of problems.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Oct-15 14:21:10
Print Post

Was it a BT Openreach engineer, or a Kelly's/Quinn's one?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 14:39:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Following complaints to PlusNet a BT engineer investigated the setup and tested from the test socket and over Ethernet. Speeds were very near the maximum supported by the line. Whilst I expect a degradation in speed over wireless, am I asking too much for better than 20 Mbps standing right next to the router?
I also have a PC connected to the router over Ethernet using a 200 Mbps Powerline adaptor. Speeds average around 38 Mbps.
All my wireless devices are wireless N protocol as is the supplied router.
My PC is high spec with a Intel i7 processor, 14GB of RAM and a SSD drive running Windows 7 Ultimate
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Oct-15 14:53:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by bigpapanoodle:
...Speeds were very near the maximum supported by the line...

I would check to see what your current IP Profile is so you (& others) know what the best you can achieve is with your current setup: www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Oct-15 14:56:53
Print Post

Speeds of around 38 Mbps over Ethernet suggests it is the 40/2 product you may be connected on. What package did you order from PlusNet?

Wireless can be a pain and while N should manage 38 Mbps it is not always possible, hence why dual-band more modern routers are favoured by those with better speed connections.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:25:09
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Just run the BT speedtest and results as follows.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 34.5 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-77.35 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.35 Mbps

I signed up for the fastest possible unlimited fibre broadband speed.

Edited by bigpapanoodle (Mon 05-Oct-15 15:26:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:29:32
Print Post

Please check the Plusnet Current line speed on your account. It's possible it is set at 40Mbps.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to