General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djs48
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 16:12:34
Print Post

laying fibre

[link to this post]

I live in a rural area and preparations have been made to install fibre by the aerial route to our village [the cabinet housing is built and underground ducting has been laid between poles across one road junction.
I have 2 poles on my property but arranged with Open Reach 7 years ago to bury the cables between them. The existing ducting between these poles is still accessible with pull-through rope available at both ends. Obviously laying an aerial fibre cable across my property would defeat the purpose and cost of that work.
Does anyone know if the contractors will automatically follow the existing copper route through my ducting in laying the fibre cable? How would I ensure they do so?
I would value any knowledge available on this
Des
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Oct-15 16:33:15
Print Post

Re: laying fibre

[re: djs48] [link to this post]

Pin a note to the poles ! Seriously , they will do what the planner/ designer has asked them to. I presume they have a wayleave agreement if its part of the network.
Standard User djs48
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 09:06:38
Print Post

Thanks Ripple.
I will pin notes to both poles. Do you think that would be sufficient to ensure they use the ducting?
They sent me a wayleave form when the ducting work was done 10 years ago, but I did not sign or return it. I assume they have rights anyway?? Would it help to speak to the wayleave people do you think?
Should this ducting work be in their network schedule do you think?
Is there anyway I could get the information to the designer/planner?

Your comments are much appreciated,
Des

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 06-Oct-15 10:40:10
Print Post

They're laying overhead fibre to FEED an FTTC cabinet? Have I understood that correctly? That sounds highly unlikely.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:52:16
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

I don't find it so unlikely
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:54:53
Print Post

Yes , contact the wayleaves department if you can to confirm they have rights of access and if the ductvwad recorded as I sussepect it may not if you didn't return the forms
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:03:08
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Quite likely in many rural areas, where many distribution networks are overhead.

It can be much easier and cheaper than laying new duct or crossing fields that will be ploughed up!.

Also much easier in hilly / mountainous areas where rock is near or at the surface. ( Just try ducting through Granite or Millstone grit!).

It does bear a risk from shotgun pellets but small compared to the plough. ( You should really shoot into the centre of a field where you can see not at a hedge line someone could be behind!)

Some years ago I remember seeing 18" segments where a farmer had ploughed straight across a cable.
  Print Thread

Jump to