General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longdistancelen
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 19:38:52
Print Post

fttc? not for me!

[link to this post]

Hi all, and thankyou for letting me in. I have a query.. I have waited and watched openreach website, and as I live in Norfolk expected to have to wait forever for fttc to arrive. To my amazement it was coming soon. I waited and waited until..... your exchange is fibre enabled...... buuuut you can't have it😠 my cabinet wasn't upgraded. A few weeks go by and even more amazingly my cabinet is now fttc enabled. Excellent. But no. On further examination I am unable to get it. After looking further I have a BROWN GPO distribution cabinet in the village. Sorry to go on. My query. How far is too far for fibre. I get about 4.5meg connection on adsl2. 53.5dB attenuation. 6dB snr.
Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Oct-15 19:43:26
Print Post

Re: fttc? not for me!

[re: longdistancelen] [link to this post]

Please could you put your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker, then copy and paste the contents of the estimates table, plus the line above it but removing your phone number of course smile.

An uploaded photo of the brown cabinet and a link to it might be useful as well.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Oct-15 19:50:39
Print Post

How far is too far, generally above 2km, but some do get some speed improvement at that distance, but as you have 4.5 Mbps now probably no improvement.

The key is knowing what cabinet and exchange the checker says, and then we can verify if you are looking at the right one and give you some distance estimates.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 08:19:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi guys and thanks so much. I am trying this from my phone Nd it's not easy!! I am connected to the Tivetshall ( EATIV) exchange. Served by cabinet 1.
Adsl2+ .... up to 2Mb. 1 to 3.5Mb
Adsl annex m . Up to 2. 1 to 3.5Mb
Adsl max up to 1
Adsl up to .5 1 to 2.5Mb
Copper multicast available.
I run a billion bipac 7800n which is why I have increased speed.
I will get a photo later and post. That I can do.
Thanks again
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Oct-15 09:33:43
Print Post

Cabinet 1 is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4590324,1.1766266,...

And would expect postcodes such as
NR16 1AP
NR16 1NU
NR16 1AP and the others west of that location to not get any benefit from FTTC.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 11:56:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is indeed cabinet 1. Nice new green one next to it also now l. My postcode is nr161qe.
My main issue is the brown GPO box which has been there since the dawn of time. I'm so glad that here in Norfolk we have given bt millions of pounds due to bbfn. Then we are kind enough to give the lines to bt so they can charge us. So paid to update their system. Wouldn't be so bad if they made no money!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:04:47
Print Post

So likely to get no benefit from FTTC.

On the money spent the projects usually only pay for those premises that actually benefit, so all depends what variations where in the contract, so the local council may not have wasted any money on you at all. The projects are such that councils should only pay the gap between what BT is willing to pay commercially and the extra needed to enable an area, it is not meant to be a 100% subsidy scheme, so do you trust your local council to ensure that is the case.

The problem county councils face was this - massive problem with broadband availability and commercial operators saying too expensive to do many areas and while some community solutions were appearing none on the scale likely to cover what was needed. Thus they go with BT, and sign a contract for 80% superfast and are now just 2.5% below that....further contracts to go further have been signed.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7079-5-3-million-...

Some areas are using a mixture of BT and others for the next phases, Norfolk has stuck with BT it seems.

The BDUK scheme is far from perfection but it is delivering to lots of people, just nothing for you, but then with a 80% target finding people who've missed out is not hard.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:20:32
Print Post

Where is the brown GPO box?
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 13:54:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The worst bit is I bet I pay more for my rubbish bband than people do for decent broadband. In my opinion bt are a bit rubbish.!!
I don't seem to be able to add a photo?https://www.google.com/maps/@52.464193,1.149569,3a,13.1y/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRQJXxqvVLWYW4JqA294NRQ!2e0

I have now dropped my adsl2 and adsl2+ for the adsl max. Now connecting at 4874Mb down. 5.7dB Snr.

Edited by longdistancelen (Tue 06-Oct-15 14:02:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:11:09
Print Post

A sub pillar, which is basically an overgrown cable junction. So these don't usually get a fibre twin.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to