General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonforty
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 02:23:26
Print Post

Possible fibre or EO line?

[link to this post]

I've been waiting patiently for fibre and was excited to see a green fibre cabinet being worked on around 100m from my house over the last month or so. I just found out this week that it has gone live and one of my close neighbours has got it on order. However, I am unable to. When I enter my postcode into any checker it says that I can get it but if I enter my phone number it says no. I've tried calling BT and they couldn't tell me anything. This is what I get on the dslchecker.bt.com checker when I use the full address inc house number -

Address xx, UPPER COLL, ISLE OF LEWIS, HS2 0LT on Exchange BACK is served by Cabinet 4
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 74.4 20 19 -- Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

However, when I check with the phone number, this is what I get -

Telephone Number 01851xxxxxx on Exchange BACK
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 4 Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

The address checker suggests that I am connected to the cabinet but the phone number checker seems to suggest that I am direct to the exchange. Does this mean that I just won't be able to get fibre or is there anyone else I can contact to find out more? Any advice or opinions appreciated! Thanks.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 08-Oct-15 07:57:46
Print Post

Re: Possible fibre or EO line?

[re: tonforty] [link to this post]

Order a new FTTC line based on your address (with new phone number etc).

If the order goes through, cease your existing line.

Seems a simpler plan to me than the alternative, which is chase BT for months to get the issue with the checker resolved before anyone will take your order.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 08-Oct-15 08:05:37
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

If that works and is installed then the OP can then switch the actual numbers over to retain the old one if it is important or one that is well used.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tonforty
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 08:10:39
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

I had thought of that, it could be worth a try. The problem is that I only moved to this house 3 weeks ago so I have just signed up to 12 months contract for phone and broadband. That means I don't think I could just cease it. If it is just a problem with the checker I hope they will get it resolved sometime. I hope it's not an EO line as I am quite far from he exchange and get less than 3mb here.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Oct-15 08:13:33
Print Post

Have you tried talking to the ISP? Some are better than others and if they are willing then they should be able to put through a manual order despite the number checker.
Standard User tonforty
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 08:32:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I did try to call BT once yesterday but the person I spoke to just advised that basically if the checker says no then it's a no. She wasn't really very helpful and didn't seem to know much about it. I tried as suggested above to see if I could order a new line based on my address but it won't. The initial checker says I can get it and let's me choose my broadband and to package but when I get near the end it fails saying that I can't get infinity. I'll be gutted if I can't get fibre as one of the pluses of moving to my new area was that fibre was going to be here soon. I've gone from a good 8mb connection to around 3mb here and struggling with things like Netflix. I was also wanting to sign up to the top BT TV package instead of Sky.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Oct-15 08:44:46
Print Post

Try the online chat with BT and see if it gets anywhere. If not, then you can always try emailing the CEO - that has worked for some in the past.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 09:25:03
Print Post

Looking like a data error in openreach . PCP 4 was installed to convert e/o lines for FTTC ( its an all in one PCP fibre cabinet)
Your ISP should be your 1st port of call but you've tried that and most just shrug their shoulders. 2nd would be your BDUK authority as they part funded it. 3rd. Try to escalate to openreach directly. There are contact email address if you search the internet, even if you have to go to the ceo.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Oct-15 09:31:23
Print Post

Are you with Sky broadband at the moment?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tonforty
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 09:37:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble. No, RobertoS, I'm with BT for phone and broadband. I just moved into this house around 3 weeks ago so signed up for phone and standard broadband as it was all that was available at the time. The fibre in the area has just gone live since then.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to