General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pdes
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 13:04:42
Print Post

Can a comunity get things changed?

[link to this post]

I live in a small comunity about a mile from the FTTC cabinet. To get to our group of houses, there is a few hundred yards of burried cable then the rest is O/H. When it becomes O/H there are a number of spurs to farms and buildings along the way. It looks as though every pole has a joint so ineviatbly, service is degraded at each hop.

I have an ATTN of 33.5db but the actual sync speed is 8mb max. According to the physics and calculations, I should be getting at least 15mb. My SNR also fluctuates wildly - worse at night - but a number of Openreach engineers have reported the line as "perfect".

I have to conclude that the only way to get a decent service is to have a more direct connection.

So, in short, I wanted to know whether communities can get together to get better cabling and how to go about it. I have rummaged around the Openreach site to try to find a contact but as is normal these days, they send you round the houses on their site in an effort to never having to engage with customers!

Any advice as to how we could get together and get better connections?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Oct-15 13:34:51
Print Post

Re: Can a comunity get things changed?

[re: pdes] [link to this post]

Is that 33.5dB attenuation with an FTTC service or an ADSL2+ service?

Network Rearrangement is probably what you are after, but big question of whether that would be worth the cost, as it will not reduce the mile distance, just possibly optimise the speeds.
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/alte...

At a mile or further and suspect its further with a 33dB attenuation, the difference between 8 Mbps and 12 Mbps on VDSL2 is very marginal. If the SNR margins are varying then suggests a local noise source may also not be helping. For ADSL2+ services using an AM radio to hunt out the likely source, if VDSL2 you may also want to use a Short Wave radio if an AM search shows nothing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 08-Oct-15 14:44:03
Print Post

Every pole may have a joint, however that does not mean your connection has one. even if there are joints, provided they are well sealed then they should not cause any degradation.

as for noise, are there overhead power cables closeby?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chilting
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 14:57:51
Print Post

In our case we got a firm no from Openreach.
This was because there were other customers on the same cabinet beyond us that would have seen very little benefit from any upgrade.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 15:34:12
Print Post

There is a specific Openreach page for community broadband

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/F...
Standard User pdes
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 15:52:07
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chilting:
In our case we got a firm no from Openreach.
This was because there were other customers on the same cabinet beyond us that would have seen very little benefit from any upgrade.

Not sure what you mean. I had a speed estimate from 8.1 to 15.0 begfore I signed up. Having got a "good" seped from ADSL (for the distance!), I expected the FTTC to be at the top end also but it barely scrapes in at the bottom. However, I kept the service as it was still a couple of Meg better than the ADSL link. Out here, every Meg is valuable!
Standard User pdes
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 15:54:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

There's about 50 yds from my house underground, then up the pole and O/H for 1/2 mile or so.
Standard User pdes
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 16:02:34
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
There is a specific Openreach page for community broadband

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/F...

Thanks for the pointer, I have filled out the request. However, it's worded as if it's for people that have no fibre connections so I doubt that a request for an upgrade will be taken seriously.

Still, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Cheers
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 08-Oct-15 16:11:36
Print Post

Do an accurate measurement on Google Maps / Earth - with that figure it is easier to give a better estimate to see if what you are getting is reasonable for the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 08-Oct-15 16:14:09)

Standard User pdes
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 16:21:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The distance from my house to the road is 50 yds, the distance along the side of the road is 1.2 miles plus another 10 yds at the cabinet end to cross the road. I would estimate that half of the cable is O/H.

Rgds

Edited by pdes (Thu 08-Oct-15 16:22:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to