General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gribz
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-15 17:49:40
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet Enablement Date ?

[link to this post]

Hi, apologies if this is has been asked a 1000 times before..

Is there any way of finding out a date/specific range when my my FTTC cabinet will switched on?

I am on Sheffield (SLSF) exchange on cabinet 81, the cabinet itself has been in place for a while, Openreach checker just says "soon" and the Superfast South Yorkshire project will only say "between October and December 2015"

As a previous DRL fibre customer I am chomping at the bit for some proper broadband again and I just can't find anything that will tell me when to expect activation, and my rage levels are slowly building! smile

Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

Phil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Oct-15 17:57:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Enablement Date ?

[re: gribz] [link to this post]

Best you will get is a range such as Oct to Dec 2015

They are vague to avoid the massive rage when they do give a firm date and something happens and its missed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gribz
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-15 20:03:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Best you will get is a range such as Oct to Dec 2015

They are vague to avoid the massive rage when they do give a firm date and something happens and its missed.

Damn, that was my fear! Thanks for taking the time to reply however, i'll just keep on doing my daily checks on Openreach and Wholesale checker. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Oct-15 17:17:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by gribz:
and the Superfast South Yorkshire project will only say "between October and December 2015"

As an aside, I'm astounded that the only cabinets going live on the Sheffield exchange are BDUK-funded ones.

I'm fully aware of what happened with the Digital Region, but it seems strange that - at the final outcome - no Sheffield cabinet comes out to be commercially viable.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 09-Oct-15 19:58:54
Print Post

Suggest also that if you can, keep an eye on the FTTC and the associated PCP.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 10-Oct-15 01:38:18
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yep, also keep an eye on roadworks.org, and changing the calendar to "within 3 months/12 months" or whatever - if there are some appropriate works booked, then it could give you an answer. They may just be "booked" and not go ahead on that date, though.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 10-Oct-15 01:38:43)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 10-Oct-15 06:52:06
Print Post

I would also recommend that if you have not already done so, that you should check your phone line and also your internal phone wiring to any extensions etc, by indulging in the Quiet Line Test.

VDSL is much more dependent upon the condition of the phone line, specifically from the PCP to your house; and the wiring arrangements in your house, because of the higher frequency band used, than ADSL.
Standard User gribz
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:54:24
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzyk1ns:
Yep, also keep an eye on roadworks.org, and changing the calendar to "within 3 months/12 months" or whatever - if there are some appropriate works booked, then it could give you an answer. They may just be "booked" and not go ahead on that date, though.

Ah yes, been down there and done all that! smile Cabinet is all installed, it just took the place of the old DRL VDSL cabinet, so it's all connected up, power lines are all reused from the old cabinet I assume.

Just waiting for someone to plug in at the exchange and flick the switch to turn the cab on , but it appears to takes three months to do this.
Standard User gribz
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:57:01
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
I would also recommend that if you have not already done so, that you should check your phone line and also your internal phone wiring to any extensions etc, by indulging in the Quiet Line Test.

VDSL is much more dependent upon the condition of the phone line, specifically from the PCP to your house; and the wiring arrangements in your house, because of the higher frequency band used, than ADSL.

Being a previous VDSL customer via Digital Region i've already done this. I'm less than 200m from the cab and on DRL was connected at the maximum speed available (80/20) so it's incredibly frustrating waiting for someone to flick a switch!
Standard User gribz
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 11:00:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
As an aside, I'm astounded that the only cabinets going live on the Sheffield exchange are BDUK-funded ones.

I'm fully aware of what happened with the Digital Region, but it seems strange that - at the final outcome - no Sheffield cabinet comes out to be commercially viable.

In my mind, and this may be very simplistic, this is just BT/Openreach saying "nay nay, told you it wouldn't work!"

BT/Openreach have been very happy to upgrade all the other exchanges in Sheffield, just not Cutlet (SLSF). The houses behind me are on the Intake exchange and have all had FTTC for many moons.

I am sure they would list many "commercial" reasons for the lack of upgrade, but I think it just comes down to teaching these other upstarts a lesson !
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to