General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 21:50:07
Print Post

New FTTC Plusnet Broadband installation - speed question

[link to this post]

Yesterday the OR engineer installed the modem and tested the line which gave 40Mbps OK (expected speed)
During yesterday various speed tests gave me 34+ Mbps.
Today it has been consistently 19+ Mbps.

I read a thread on here entitled First 10 Days (Jan 2015) where it was mentioned that for FTTC this 10 day training exercise doesn't apply.

Plusnet tonight tested the line out OK and it is still set to deliver 40Mbps and I was told the first 10 days training thing. I was quoted 38-40 but this 19+ Mbps on day 2 has put the wind up me. Should I be worried?
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 21:55:56
Print Post

Re: New FTTC Plusnet Broadband installation - speed question

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

Just ran another test (slightly higher)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Oct-15 21:58:21
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-abo...

The key is either looking at the modem sync speeds or use the BT wholesale speed test and follow it through to find out what the configured speed (i.e. IP Profile is set to) this is guaranteed to be related to the current sync speed on FTTC. The mirror setting of this that PlusNet use can be out of date.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Oct-15 21:59:16
Print Post

Wired or wireless? Wireless speed tests are generally a waste of time.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:41:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

90% tests with wired router connects at 100M Ethernet max only 2 latest tests wifi at 5 feet away which in fact gave a tad better result I. e. Broke the 20Mbps this evening. TB says it logs speed tests by post code. My code is TA10 9BU. All tests until late this evening wired.
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:46:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Regarding Plusnet's router stats they seemed to offer very little details. I did some BT speedchecks though doubt it was the BTW one. Could you give me a link for BTW please
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Oct-15 00:01:18
Print Post

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Fri 09-Oct-15 00:05:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for this. I'll use that from tomorrow 😊
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Oct-15 00:57:47
Print Post

A few things to note when using the BT Wholesale test you've just had the link to.

1) If wanting to check the actual speed, (don't laugh, I'm coming to times you aren't doing it for a simple speed test), always do it wired.

2) You can largely ignore the first page of the results. The latency is the only figure of interest there.

3) At the bottom of that page is a button for "Further diagnostics". Click that smile.

It will ask for your phone number, and then after a few seconds will come up with a more complex page of results. We aren't interested in the graphics - the important stuff is everything that is in the down and up text boxes. The speeds are there again, plus a thing called the IP Profile.

For our purposes here it is best to copy and paste the full contents of both of those boxes please.

Sometimes it is only the IP Profile we are after, as we are doing it when we already know we have a low speed. In which case we ignore all the red instructions, tick we've done them, and carry on. In just that sort of scenario a wireless test is acceptable.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Fri 09-Oct-15 09:41:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Result of BTW test

Wired only Wireless disabled..
Latency 40.25 (this was 11-15 on day1 (Wed.)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.82Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to