General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Arcom
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-15 13:32:13
Print Post

Speed Drop

[link to this post]

Openreach fixed a corroded wire outside my property this week which was causing my broadband to drop out several times a day and an intermittent fault on my telephone service. This fault persisted for about a month before it was fixed.

Prior to the fault I was getting download speeds in the region of 65Mbps on an FTTC connection. I am now getting 45Mbps. I have questioned this with my ISP who have been pretty unhelpful and only offered to call out Openreach again which they state, may be chargeable.

My question is, could the fault on my line have caused DLM(?) to downgrade my maximum line speed below that of which it is capable? If so, will it eventually set itself back to a more realistic value?

Checks on various ISP website state my line should be capable of around 70Mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Oct-15 14:24:51
Print Post

Re: Speed Drop

[re: Arcom] [link to this post]

Highly likely that the DLM did slow you down to try and make things stable and error free, it will wait until it sees a stable pattern before giving the speed back.

So knowing router stats when you had good speeds, when the fault was present and now when in theory its cleared might help to decide if its just a DLM change needed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Oct-15 17:51:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So knowing router stats...

As you know this isn't so easy for FTTC users if they have a locked BT modem!
It would be nice to know why BT decided to make things hard work for people...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Oct-15 17:55:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Arcom:
I have questioned this with my ISP who have been pretty unhelpful and only offered to call out Openreach again which they state, may be chargeable.

Welcome to TBB smile

It's always worth saying who your ISP is - it's often helpful to others using the forum.
It's also not unheard of for an ISP rep to come forward and offer help...

Standard User Arcom
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-15 19:31:17
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just leave it and see how it goes. Any idea how long I could expect to wait before things return to normal - assuming it's a DLM issue?

Unfortunately, it is an Openreach modem and the ISP in question is Xilo.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Oct-15 19:33:39
Print Post

When I've had drops that drop me from 20 Mbps to 14 to 15 Mbps on FTTC usually a week or two.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:30:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Arcom:
Unfortunately, it is an Openreach modem and the ISP in question is Xilo.
I'm also unable to get proper line stats as I'm using a BT ECI modem.
The best I've found to monitor my line is to keep an eye on your IP Profile.

If you are lucky Xilo might see this if they monitor the forums - or you could always try asking them smile

If you do, remember to update this post with their response...

Print Thread

Jump to