General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:42:14
Print Post

My eternal thanks to Onlincolnshire, BDUK and one other

[link to this post]

It's been a long time coming but finally the great day will soon arrive. Ever since I've lived here the internet has been a sore point. Slow, slow and sometimes dead slow. Life at 1.4mb/s max is a pain. No point clicking on video links etc. Turn off anything like flashplayer in the browser. Yes, we do miss out.

At one point, the wireless route looked the way forward but the hype was more than the realities of the landscape. Tried 3 times over the past 3 years and each time, even with the improvements in wireless technology, it was a shake of the head and thanks for coming. No change. So frustrating too, as others, not that far away sported nice new wireless aerials - receiving 20mb plus downloads. It really was a case of so near and yet so far.

Just over 8 weeks ago a nice new green cabinet arrived. On Friday, the Openreach website said I could place an order for fibre. Not only that, we now actually have a choice of providers and not presented with a fait accompli of just the BT option.

Driving home last night (down the country lanes and talking to the wife about how she'd used her shop's internet service to call her children back in Vietnam - they have a 34mb/s line), I took my foot off the accelerator and we coasted down to less than walking speed. "What happened" she said. This is our speed now on the internet. As I gunned the car back up to 60 I said our speed will be even faster than this. It really is easy to picture internet speeds when you use mph! She smiled. No more waiting for TV shows from her native Vietnam to cough and splutter before they sort of appear in spasms on the screen. Hopefully even Skype will stop reporting 'your line is too slow to make the call'. And yes, it will be a life changer for us.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps)
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 74.4 20 19 -- Available
ADSL Max Up to 0.5 -- 0.25 to 1.5 Available

No longer will we be paying a lot for so little. My current fibre deal is actually costing much less £ per Mb than what I pay BT for simple broadband, and it's unlimited too. And finally, we will be able to stream TV and videos from around the globe.

People might well moan about the BDUK lot. I know I have but thanks, BDUK (and that one other person!) For sure, without it, we living here in the heart of Lincolnshire would still be waiting and living in the days of stage coaches.

The phone line takes all of 150 meters to get to the fibre cabinet............... wheeeeeeeeeeee! Can't wait!

Edited by 69bertie (Sun 11-Oct-15 10:46:22)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:47:28
Print Post

Re: My eternal thanks to Onlincolnshire, BDUK and one other

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
The phone line takes all of 150 meters metres to get to the fibre cabinet............... wheeeeeeeeeeee! Can't wait!
smile

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 11-Oct-15 10:48:43)

Print Thread

Jump to