General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User QuantumParticle
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:38:02
Print Post

Would ADSL line be compromised through crosstalk from VDSL

[link to this post]

We live in a rural village on a long line from the exchange and 1.4km from the cabinet.

I have just last week upgraded to FTTC . for a few weeks before this my ADSL lost half its speed from 2.5mbs down to 1.2mbs.
I didn't even know at that time that the fibre had been enabled so didn't connect the possibility that that might have been the cause.

I ask as I have several elderly neighbours who have told me that their speeds have gone down so much that they are struggling to use it for emails even! One said they couldn't even call up the weather as it just wouldn't work. so god knows what speeds they have now.Could crosstalk from VDSL cause this?
It seems very unfair that people who probably can't afford to go to fibre have basically lost their internet.

Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:14:53
Print Post

Re: Would ADSL line be compromised through crosstalk from VD

[re: QuantumParticle] [link to this post]

Yes it can, but the Ofcom requirements and Openreach implementation are supposed largely to prevent this.

Who to contact about it I don't know. Basically the ISP(s) of the people affected. It is possible there is something wrong inside either the FTTC or PCP cabinet, or an incorrect setup. (Wild theory frown).

I suggest that if there are a number of people on any particular ISP affected that somehow a joint problem report is raised. That might trigger more than a few individual ones would.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:51:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If the people are on an old IPStream Max product then it may be worth seeing if WBC ADSL2+ is available to escape the old not so good IP Profile system

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:59:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks
I've never heard of IPstream max so can't comment but I have just checked and WBC ADSL2+ is available.
How would they switch over to that? and do you think that would avoid the crosstalk?
Normal adsl speeds are very low here usually about 1mbs as standard.

thanks
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 17:01:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would expect they are with BT but I don't know.
Fat chance of them doing anything but offer them Fibre!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:06:00
Print Post

If WBC ADSL2+ has only recently arrived then a high chance others are on the older ADSL only service (hint is that their upload connection speed will be 448 Kbps)

Providers usually upgrade automatically, but for some this can take several months as they do it in batches.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:03:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes it must be recent as when I last checked we didn't have ADSL2 +

I'll Try to let them know but half the problem is their lack of any understanding.
Unless I actually contact their ISP's for them I doubt they will get anything done.

and to be honest I don't hold out much hope even if I do!
Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:47:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by QuantumParticle:
Yes it must be recent as when I last checked we didn't have ADSL2 +

I'll Try to let them know but half the problem is their lack of any understanding.
Unless I actually contact their ISP's for them I doubt they will get anything done.

and to be honest I don't hold out much hope even if I do!

I had to ask my ISP to change me over to ADSL2 which they did within a few hours at no extra charge with slight improvement.
I had noticed that my ADSL was affected by cross-talk.
  Print Thread

Jump to