General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User QuantumParticle
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:44:10
Print Post

Another Crosstalk question

[link to this post]

Since getting fibre just over a week ago my speeds which started at 22.5mbs quickly went down to 19.5mbs and then stayed steady for a week. As 1 or two more people in my village changed to fibre my speeds went down to 12mbs !

I read somewhere that crosstalk can reduce speeds by a third but I have lost nearly 50% in 1 week with only about 6 or seven people on the same cable connected to FTTC.
this seems ridiculous to me.
Do you think that this is a crosstalk problem or possibly something else.

My ISP is uno.net and I am 1.4km from the cabinet.

thanks

Mike
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:17:55
Print Post

Re: Another Crosstalk question

[re: QuantumParticle] [link to this post]

You're not the only one! smile frown
I quickly went from 30 > 20 on my FTTC connection (I've done all that's possible to optimise my wiring).

All my neighbours are roughly the same, way below BT's 'best' estimate.

Can you check TBB's figures to see what they say for you: http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/

I've mentioned to them via Twitter that none of my neighbours see the "...speeds will likely be above 30 Mbps" they quote.
Makes me wonder how real world all these 'super fast' stats are!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:22:23
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Don't recall the area - so tell us which cab/exchange and can double check the estimates.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:23:42
Print Post

Might be crosstalk, or might be the DLM making sure the line is stable or a mixture of the two.

At 1.4km-1.6km something in the 12 to 18 Mbps range would be considered normal

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:55:09
Print Post

I might be being a bit thick but I'm not sure what I am looking for on those charts.
They seem to be historical averages, and I'm not sure where they are getting them from?
it is saying average for last 6 months was 6.2 down and 1.1 up but the village has only had FTTC for about 3 weeks

I was rock steady on 19.5 mbs for 6 days so I'm a bit gutted to go down so quickly from there.

I checked neighbor opposite and they are only getting 10mbs but they have a very bad crackly line that cuts them off broadband when the phone rings!!
needless to say open reach are mucking them about and say there is nothing wrong LOL
what a joke they are.
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:57:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The exchange is stoke ferry in Norfolk and my village is west dereham.
I believe its cabinet 4 but there is another one which is much nearer us and the majority of houses but of course they only laid fibre to the easiest one for them !
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:44:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by QuantumParticle:
I checked neighbor opposite and they are only getting 10mbs but they have a very bad crackly line that cuts them off broadband when the phone rings!!
needless to say open reach are mucking them about and say there is nothing wrong LOL
what a joke they are.
If they have a crackly line when using a corded phone (£5-£7 from many places) plugged into the test socket, report that as a line fault to their phone provider. Without mentioning broadband at all, in any way, shape or form".

That will get fixed, and 95%+ of the time sorts out the broadband.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User DarkKobra1977
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:51:36
Print Post

Yep, I went from 75Mb down to 53Mb. Even though the BT checker states that on an impacted line, I should be getting at least 61Mb. For me has to be crosstalk as I'm probably only 170m away from the PCP.

Freeserve> BTADSL 512k > 1Mb> ADSL Max (rubbish) > Be ADSL2+ (Brilliant ISP) 8mb> BT Broadband 5Mb >]Bt Infinity 2 - Was 75 / 18 for 4 weeks now 53 / 12 @ 200m - 250m.... :/ (FTTC distance dependant? Not according to my line....Crosstalk is the killer)
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:31:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Don't recall the area - so tell us which cab/exchange and can double check the estimates.
It was part of this Twitter conversation with Rory from the BBC: https://twitter.com/HmmmUK/status/633304761735979008

I ended up DMing you my postcode.
You replied: Suggests a noise, cable quality issue, which is something difficult to predict for 1.7 million postcodes, will see if can be nuanced.

PS. Please don't mention my location on the forum I'm shy! smile

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:35:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by QuantumParticle:
I might be being a bit thick but I'm not sure what I am looking for on those charts.
They seem to be historical averages, and I'm not sure where they are getting them from?
They take a bit of reading smile

After entering my post code I see this under the exchange name:

Notes On Connection Options
Fibre (FTTC) is possibly available and speeds will likely be above 30 Mbps.

Do you see something similar?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to