General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User theoldschool
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:49:25
Print Post

Slow upload speed on fttc

[link to this post]

Living in a rural location about 5.5km from the exchange we were getting about 1.5 Mb/s down (on a good day) and 0.3 Mb/s up on ADSL which is about what I expected. Two weeks ago we were connected to fttc, the cabinet being about 1.8km away and I am very happy with the download speed of 17 Mb/s but I am rather disappointed in the upload speed which is only 1.2 Mb/s. My ISP (Zen) has carried out a series of line tests and found no fault and is at a loss to explain the situation except that they say that upload speed degrades faster with distance from the cabinet than ADSL does due to the higher frequencies used - has anyone else any experience of this?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:06:46
Print Post

Re: Slow upload speed on fttc

[re: theoldschool] [link to this post]

Yes, it is true - to a certain extent.

Working from the lowest frequency end thee is a small upstream band, U0, which uses tones up to 32, then Downstream, D1, followed bu U1, D2, U2, D3. Whereas on ADSL all of the upstream is at the low frequency end. So, yes it appears to degrade faster because of the higher frequencies in use.

If you can run DSL Stats the graphs available will show what is happening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User keith969
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:27:46
Print Post

Yes I see this too. Download is 0.625 of the max 80, whereas upload is 0.4 of the max 20.
Speeds are in line with what the BT checker reports (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:00:36
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

My speeds are nowhere near what dsl checker reports for my telephone number:

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange FOLKINGHAM is served by Cabinet 1

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 55.3 35.7 13.9 8.3 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 46.5 27.4 13.7 6.1 -- Available

My neighbours (same distance from the cabinet) are being connected today so it will be interesting to see what they get
Standard User keith969
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:04:15
Print Post

The figures given by the BT checker do change. Originally they predicted a much higher speed for me (which I didn't get). Now they are more inline, I have no idea why...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:24:24
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

BT were pressured by the ASA to make their estimates more closely reflect actual speeds.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:27:44
Print Post

There are times when the checker database may think a phone number is in another location, what does the checker estimate for the actual house number and postcode.

55 Mbps is NOT achievable at 1.8km from a cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:46:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If I try the house name and postcode I get:

Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.

Tha actual postcode location is 900m away from our property (there's only 2 properties here so I assume they didn't think it worth giving us our own postcode) so I wouldn't accept what it predicted anyway but if I try that in dsl checker I get:

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available

Which is patently wrong because everybody else on that postcode can get FTTC (it's about 900m from the cabinet). Yes, I'm aware that the download estimates were wrong but I though I could get a better upload than 1.3 Mb/s
Standard User keith969
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:46:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

hmm, that figures...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Oct-15 14:03:26
Print Post

Okay so one of those where the checker is in a mess basically.

You can do the get mad and complain but nothing will actually improve for your broadband as a result of that. best that can be managed is to get things updated.

Fortunately postcodes that are this large are pretty rare (much more common in Northern Ireland I find)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to