General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mobiuspizza
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:37:05
Print Post

Problem switching provider

[link to this post]

I have fiber optic broadband activated and in use for a year, and the contract has just finished. I am with Sky at the moment. I want to swtich to another provider to take advantage of new offers but both BT and talktalk website says I cannot get fiber optic broadband, despite I have one already I just need to switch through active line takeover.

Is it because the online system determined that the cabinet is at full capacity?
Is it possible to switch then, do I have to speak to the new ISPs instead of doing it online?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:58:45
Print Post

Re: Problem switching provider

[re: mobiuspizza] [link to this post]

If a cabinet is at full capacity the BT Wholesale checker will indicate that.

BT Infinity apply speed criteria to being able to order to protect speed claims in adverts, and not aware of TalkTalk doing the same but is possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:20:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks

I doubt it is the speed because I was only looking at the slowest package (up to 38Mbps) and I am already getting about 30 on my existing connection.

Strange that I tried the BT wholesale checker and it say the phone number is not a BT line or no data. The number is not a new number and has been used over 10 years!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:28:08
Print Post

Strange that I tried the BT wholesale checker and it say the phone number is not a BT line or no data. The number is not a new number and has been used over 10 years!

Is this issue arising as the number is currently an LLU one ?

Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:31:56
Print Post

I think you get that issue with the number regardless how long the line has been active IF it has never been on BT.

When we moved last year we decided to keep our exiting supplier (TalkTalk) and needed a new number as we were changing exchange. TalkTalk set up a new number since we had no desire to retain the previous occupants number. As a result the number is new and never operated by BT, means we have to use post-code and address for the FTTC checkers.
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:35:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That may be it, thanks. I didn't know what LLU is before but after reading about it, it sounds right, as Sky does use LLU.

In that case there is no choice for me to switch unless I do a cease and re-activate. I wish Sky would have warned me earlier!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:36:40
Print Post

No need for a cease and provide, migrations from full LLU are possible, you need to enter the postcode and telephone numbers in the order systems for the providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to