General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User theoldschool
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 21:33:29
Print Post

How to connect Huawei HG612 as modem and TG5889vn as router

[link to this post]

There's some reference to this on my previous post regarding low upload speeds on my FTTC connection but I'm raising a new post for this specific query.
MHC made some useful replies to my original post regarding viewing DSLstats but there is a problem with viewing the tones graph on the Thomson TG589vn due to its custom CLI not supporting all the features on DSLstats. One suggestion he made was to use a Huawei HG612 as a modem and use the TG589vn just as a router and to this end I've bought a HG612 from eBay for £15 and will unlock it but I don't know how to connect it to the TG589vn. The Thomson unit only has one RJ11 WAN port - all the other 4 are LAN ports. Has anyone any experience of doing this and would I have to reconfigure the TG589vn in any way?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-15 21:41:35
Print Post

Re: How to connect Huawei HG612 as modem and TG5889vn as rou

[re: theoldschool] [link to this post]

Edit: - Ah - I read WAN as WAN, not DSL frown.
****************************************************************************************
Incoming line DSL socket >> HG612 DSL socket using a standard DSL cable.

HG612 LAN1 >> TG589vm WAN socket using (the probably included) Ethernet cable, but any decent Ethernet cable will do.

That should simply work, unless you need to tell the TG which input to use. I would expect it to auto-detect/switch. Try it, before worrying about the unlocking smile. We'll sort that out next.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Oct-15 21:45:56)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-15 21:59:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK. It looks from the TG589vn specification that it doesn't have an Ethernet WAN port. Unless there is some custom firmware to convert a LAN port. You can't do it as they come out of the box.

But you can do it after unlocking the HG612 if we change it from Bridge mode to Modem/router mode. We then connect LAN1 of the HG612 to a TG LAN port and disable DHCP on the TG. We also ensure they are both on the same LAN IP address subnet, and give the TG an address outside the allocatable range of the HG612.

That isn't a difficult task. It's the standard way of using a second router to extend the LAN connections and wifi range of a single one.

The LAN2 on the HG612 means you still have four Ethernet ports available if you need them all.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User theoldschool
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 22:05:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah - so you're saying use one of the 4 ethernet ports to connect to the HG612? I thought they were just for LAN connections but after looking around the TG589 configuration options I found this which seems to indicate that I can use port 4 as a WAN port. I'm waiting for my HG612 to arrive so I'll update in due course

Sorry - posted this before I read your second post so I'll try both methods......

Edited by theoldschool (Wed 14-Oct-15 22:08:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-15 22:10:01
Print Post

[re: theoldschool] [link to this post]

OK, that looks as though it will work. Please can you repost in the original thread, as this is going to get vey messy otherwise. I've moved over to there.

Print Thread

Jump to