General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:38:04
Print Post

No date for local cabinet? Help?

[link to this post]

I'm moving house this week. I'm moving about 2 miles and living in the same exchange area. Currently I have fibre broadband at my home but my new house doesn't have fibre available.

I have spoken with my ISP and they told me that my local exchange has been upgraded by my local cabinet on my new house has not. They also stated that from what they could see there wasn't any dates showing when the local cabinet would be upgraded either.

I'm pretty gutted about this. I want the new house and I'm still moving for many reasons, but the slow internet - especially the upload - will cause me problems.

Does anyone know any way to find out if there's a date for my local cabinet to be upgraded or any way to find anything else out at all?

The area I'm moving to only has a few houses there and is a very quiet area. It's still near my current house where they enabled fibre years back, but I suspect the demand at the new address will be low. Does this mean I'll take a backseat and have to wait years or even never get it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:40:40
Print Post

Re: No date for local cabinet? Help?

[re: pebbleheed] [link to this post]

With no exchange and cabinet number or postcode impossible to say where you might stand.

All one can say is:
National target is 90% superfast by end of 2015, so 1 in 10 won't.
National target is 95% superfast by end of 2017 so 1 in 20 won't.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:44:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How do I find details of those to provide on here please?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:50:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by pebbleheed:
How do I find details of those to provide on here please?
I take it you know the postcode, post it and someone should be able to help with details of the cab. If you are concerned about publicising your new postcode then perhaps PM it to Andrew.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:50:52
Print Post

Either you share you postcode in private or publically or you use https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and the address checker option

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:53:49
Print Post

I was told my exchange is Mossley.

The details are as follow,

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Note: The DP is external to the end user premises.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Oct-15 14:41:35
Print Post

An easy one, no information because you are an Exchange Only line and thus currently have no cabinet.

Telephone exchange is around 1km away with other Exchange Only properties on the way, as to when you might see an improvement, pick a year from a hat, but lean towards 2017-2020.

With 11 Mbps ADSL2+ available it is not at the top of the priority list I would hazard a guess.
https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/?area=E1400096... shows the area is doing very well with regards to the targets and until someone funds a coverage at better than those levels you are going to be waiting.

Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-15 08:00:26
Print Post

Thanks for the detailed answer, even if it's one that is the opposite of what I wanted to hear smile

Will the ADSL product here be better than the one I received from a cabinet in the nearby area?

The upload was useless so I moved to fibre. I am just worried that this will happen again here.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Oct-15 08:19:50
Print Post

Adsl2+ uploads will be below 1Mbps

Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-15 08:37:37
Print Post

Well that's probably about as bad as it gets then.

At my current place the old adsl got me just under 2mb upload. Then I went to fibre and it was faster. If the adsl product at the new place is under 1mb then it's not fast enough for what I need.

Think it may be time to go 4g and rely on that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to