General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DaveC
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 14:55:28
Print Post

Sky vs. BT speeds

[link to this post]

I've heard or read various stories that BT might be able to squeeze more speed from the line than Sky by tweaking settings, whereas Sky operates a 'one size fits all' policy. Does anybody know if there is any truth in this, or do both achieve the same/similar results because the infrastructure is the same?

I've been with Sky FTTC for several years now, live a long way from the exchange and the cabinet so they quoted max 18mb download which I got for quite a while. For 4 months or more now I am only getting 16.5 by Sky's measure and less by others. Upload is a miserly 1.6. Wondering whether to try BT, especially as Sky are raising the cost of my phone package from 1 Dec.

Thanks v much for any thoughts.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Oct-15 15:15:30
Print Post

Re: Sky vs. BT speeds

[re: DaveC] [link to this post]

The retail providers have no tweak functionality available to them, other than the initial order profile.

In short with FTTC if you are only connecting and getting speeds around 18 Mbps, it would suggest you are 1.3 to 1.5 km from the cabinet and switching provider will not help.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Oct-15 15:39:26
Print Post

Basically NO.

the only possibility is if the modem has a "better" front end that can operate at lower input power or higher noise levels. And even then it could be just a small change and without detailed analysis of modem performance it is impossible to say if it would improve or worsen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Oct-15 16:52:21
Print Post

Sky will be raising the line rental because BT have raised theirs. Hugely, year on year. It pays for the Sport on both frown.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-15 15:51:27
Print Post

BT tend to sell more up to 80Mb connections whereas most of Sky's seem to be the up to 40Mb version. I don't know the reason for this but I remember for a while you actually couldn't order the 80Mb product from Sky via the website. You had to call them instead.

This is perhaps why BT tend to do better than Sky on average speeds
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Oct-15 17:10:02
Print Post

As far as sync speeds go,no difference between them.although if your line suffers lots of errors the DLM stability profile choosen by each may play a part in the throughput speeds that you may see, as will BT's IP profile system which doesnt exist on Sky FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Oct-15 17:21:49
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
This is perhaps why BT tend to do better than Sky on average speeds
On Infinity they will not supply under 15Mbps estimate. I think "Faster broadband with fibre" is still available, but not blazened in headlines.

Not relevant if you are referring to the overall average of course, but very relevant to FTTC.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Tue 20-Oct-15 20:09:09
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

The 80/20 package with Sky is £30 a month compared with some very good offers from BT for their Infinity 2.

I think they are now both £30 with 60p difference in price for line rental but BT give you evening and weekend calls, Sky won't after the 1st December.

This is one reason I am looking at Pulse8, no contract and the price is £44 a month for business grade 80/20 fibre and line rental.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 15ms Ping, Sync ~ 68.93/18.83Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Oct-15 20:48:12
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Skilty:
This is one reason I am looking at Pulse8, no contract and the price is £44 a month for business grade 80/20 fibre and line rental.
Uh uh! smile

Pulse8 have two £44 packages. The non-Business 76/20 and the Business 38/10.

Standard User Skilty
(regular) Tue 20-Oct-15 21:40:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Skilty:
Uh uh! smile

Pulse8 have two £44 packages. The non-Business 76/20 and the Business 38/10.

Was under the impression that the £44 home package still ran on TTB but at a lower priority as it mentions standard and the business package with high priority.

I am considering the £50 business package as it is still cheaper than the Sky Fibre Pro package with the Talk plan.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 15ms Ping, Sync ~ 68.93/18.83Mbps

Edited by Skilty (Tue 20-Oct-15 21:42:01)

Print Thread

Jump to