General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 20-Oct-15 03:59:58
Print Post

DSLAM Cabinet Questions...

[link to this post]

I have been checking all cabinets across several exchanges for my Borough (London Borough of Newham) and I have seen some DSLAM Cabinets for the WANSTEAD Exchange, and I was wondering what the names mean shown below:
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAGBT (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAIBX (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAIDD (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAJCM (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAJNV (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAGBP (1)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAGBR (1)

STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET NAAG (5)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET NAAI (2)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET NAAJ (3)
STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET TNAA (21)
The numbers inside (#) is the amount of cabinets that has that name on the exchange.
What are those names (i.e. NAAIDD) ?

Also there are DSLAM Cabinets that are connected to non number cabinets shown below:
E12 5DL on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAGBT
E11 2AG on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAICK
E11 2HG on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAIDD
E11 1PE on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAIEA
E11 2QQ on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAJCK
E18 2BL on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAJCM
E18 2EJ on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAJKJ
E18 1LJ on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAJNV
E18 2BP on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet NAAJPV
Are these cabinet numbers (i.e. NAAGBT) mean they are connected to another DSLAM in the previous quote above ?
I.e. does it mean "E12 5DL ... is served by Cabinet NAAGBT" is connected to DSLAM Cabinet NAAGBT ?

Also I have noted that a couple of postcodes have multiple DSLAM Cabinets, shown below:
E11 2RQ has 2 DSLAM Cabinets (i.e. cabinet 30)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAGBR, SPRATT HALL ROAD, LONDON, E11 2RQ on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet 30 (No Fibre)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET NAAG, SPRATT HALL ROAD, LONDON, E11 2RQ on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet 30 (Has FTTC)

E18 2EU has 2 DSLAM Cabinets (i.e. cabinet 13)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CABINET TNAA, WOODFORD ROAD, LONDON, E18 2EU on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet 13 (Has FTTC)
Address STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NAAGBP, WOODFORD ROAD, LONDON, E18 2EU on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet 13 (Has FTTC)
Is this normal?

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 20-Oct-15 04:22:00)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-15 07:52:44
Print Post

Re: DSLAM Cabinet Questions...

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Some odd info you have pulled up there. Cab IDs are 6 letters beginning N. The 4 letter IDs may be intermediate nodes. The T codes are likely the serving aggregation node. Don't know what the numbers in brackets mean, maybe number of cabinets served by that node.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Oct-15 09:57:36
Print Post

Adding to Ribble's reply, yes it is very common for more than one postcode to be served by a particular cabinet. Similarly a postcode can be served by more than one cabinet. This could be seen easily in the leaked Openreach FTTC/P deployment spreadsheets we used to see.

You may have seen many posts telling people not to use the BT Wholesale postcode estimate checker. That's why, as it only returns one cabinet when there may be several. So the results can be nothing like the phone number or address option give.

Postcodes are a relatively recent Royal Mail way of defining delivery walks, and have been altered quite frequently since they were introduced. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing at all to do with where the GPO installed phone cabinets years before postcodes existed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 20-Oct-15 13:30:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Some odd info you have pulled up there. Cab IDs are 6 letters beginning N.
Yeah, I have always seen them, and was just wondering what they meant.

The 4 letter IDs may be intermediate nodes. The T codes are likely the serving aggregation node.
Ah, ok.

Don't know what the numbers in brackets mean, maybe number of cabinets served by that node.
Well the numbers in the brackets are what I added, this is just saying that there was that many DSLAM Cabinets with that name with the 4 or 6 letters for that exchange.

I was just confused why it was saying it was served by the 6 letter named cabinet instead of a cabinet number etc.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 20-Oct-15 13:37:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Adding to Ribble's reply, yes it is very common for more than one postcode to be served by a particular cabinet. Similarly a postcode can be served by more than one cabinet. This could be seen easily in the leaked Openreach FTTC/P deployment spreadsheets we used to see.

You may have seen many posts telling people not to use the BT Wholesale postcode estimate checker. That's why, as it only returns one cabinet when there may be several. So the results can be nothing like the phone number or address option give.

Postcodes are a relatively recent Royal Mail way of defining delivery walks, and have been altered quite frequently since they were introduced. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing at all to do with where the GPO installed phone cabinets years before postcodes existed.
I am aware of postcodes can be served by multiple PCP and DSLAM cabinets, but those are normally different cabinet numbers and not the same.

I was referring to postcode E11 2RQ has 2 DSLAM Cabinets listed that are connected to PCP cabinet 30 and its the same with postcode E18 2EU which has 2 DSLAM Cabinets connected to PCP cabinet 13.

Oh btw I wasn't using the postcode checker, I was using the address checker, also BTOR's Where and when page displays the same.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 20-Oct-15 14:18:28
Print Post

Well, it seems that BTW didn't like me using their DSL Checker due to now its down to me, how ever our server can still access it.

All I get when I enter our phone number in is "We are sorry but the checker is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later." when using our connection here, and it all works fine from our server.

It wasn't that I was hammering their server/database, I gave it a couple of seconds between lookups frown

madmadmadmadmad

So no more checks for me frown

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to