General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LeeJH
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-15 15:14:31
Print Post

FTTC go live date

[link to this post]

My cabinet was updated to a new fibre ready cabinet several weeks ago, it even has one of the new Superfast Cymru stickers on it saying fibre is now available, but so far it is not active.

Can anyone tell me if it's usual for there to be a long delay between the install of the cabinet and it being in use?

If it helps I'm on the Aberconwy exchange, cabinet 31.

My current speeds have gradually slowed from about 12mb down to about 2-3mb over the last couple of months and I can't work out why, hoping some blazing fast fibre might improve things when I can get it!

Thanks in advance smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Oct-15 15:53:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC go live date

[re: LeeJH] [link to this post]

Are providers saying its not available?

The upgrades are not automatic

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-15 16:00:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I reckon the cabinet work is not yet complete

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LeeJH
(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-15 22:27:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I've been checking on a regular basis, it's not available.
Is there usually a long period from when the cabinet is installed to when it goes live?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Oct-15 07:25:55
Print Post

Yes, often several months, if not longer
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 21-Oct-15 07:54:47
Print Post

From "cutting soil" to being available for orders, "my" FTTC only 10 Metres from my front door, started in November 2013 and actually became available at the end of March 2014, whilst the RFS (Release for Service) Date remained at "30th May 2014" throughout, from about June 2013.

Be wary about "superfast high speed broadband".

Much is dependent upon the final copper distance and quality from the existing PCP (old Distribution Box) to your house, plus the added lengths from the PCP to the new FTTC.

Although my house was built on a greenfield site, including underground phone wiring to every house, my house is about 45 M from the PCP, 10 M from the FTTC, the actual copper distance from the FTTC is 50 M to the PCP plus almost unbelievably 250 M from the PCP to my front door.

And even with the added FTTC to PCP, about 40 M direct, the new link first heads 5 M directly in the opposite direction to get access to the existing ducts, then turns back towards the PCP, passing the FTTC on the way.

--------------

You should take the opportunity to check your installation by doing QLTs (Quiet Line Tests) to help ensure that you get best performance.
Standard User LeeJH
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-15 10:30:29
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it! I'll try to be patient smile
  Print Thread

Jump to