General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(regular) Wed 21-Oct-15 23:58:22
Print Post

(Footway) Resurfacing Roadworks..?

[link to this post]

The fibre cabinet that serves my PCP (SLRN/P8) was erected at the beginning of 2013, and had almost no work done to it since it was placed, apart from the occasional "install poly duct" (or something else along those lines) listed on roadworks.org. A little odd as the cabinet serves almost 500 premises, whereas many other cabinets on the exchange activated by 2012 only serve 150, so I presume they have hit an issue either getting fibre cables to it or powering it up.

Anyway, recently all of the local (and majority of the city) roads have been resurfaced due to the huge amount of potholes everywhere, including the ones near the FTTC cabinet, which were done around 3 months ago. Since that passed (and the cabinet hasn't been activated), I'm wondering if theres still a chance for work to be done on it tied in with footway resurfacing roadworks (which are also being done across the city) or if I'll have to wait another 6-9 months (I can't imagine they'd get permission to dig the roads up so soon after).

My apologies for any incorrect information or if the post is written terribly, its pretty late right this minute and I'm pretty tired.
I appreciate any knowledge/insight into my cabinet or information on "road"works.

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Thu 22-Oct-15 00:16:36)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-15 00:53:36
Print Post

Re: (Footway) Resurfacing Roadworks..?

[re: thebigdolphin1] [link to this post]

Roadworks are saying the following:
Date: 21 Oct - 3 Nov
Location: (PCP8) SIDE OF 93 HANGINGWATER ROAD ON, FULNEY ROAD...
Description: Install 3m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,Provide, Renew or Recover 1 DSLAM street cabinet and base...
GoogleMaps: https://goo.gl/maps/qZGffc3mm372
Seems that they are adding fibre cables, providing/renewing or recovering the fibre cabinet and base.

Not too sure what that entails, might mean they are pulling up the old fibre cabinet and that's it, or they are also providing a new fibre cabinet.

The only issue is I cannot find the PCP Cabinet 8, I know PCP Cabinet 5 is round the corner.

I can see a Planned date for 31st March 2016 but this date can change.

*** update ***
Actually I think that fibre cabinet is for PCP Cabinet 5 what is located round the corner, that fibre cabinet is live and was installed 2010 - 2011.

So with that known, I say that fibre cabinet 8 hasn't even been installed yet and you that you might be getting mixed up with fibre cabinet 5, I think they are placing the cabinet near that one, unless Road works got it wrong, and that would tally up with the above date next year.

But all this is guess work at this point.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 22-Oct-15 01:09:44)

Standard User thebigdolphin1
(regular) Thu 22-Oct-15 00:54:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, the information listed for that set of roadworks are incorrect; Its actually for PE8 and not P8 (which I'm on) which is being done as part of the BDUK rollout unlike mine. Thanks for searching at least.

The location of my cabinet is here, the fibre cab directly behind on the grass.

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Thu 22-Oct-15 01:05:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-15 01:31:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by thebigdolphin1:
Unfortunately, the information listed for that set of roadworks are incorrect; Its actually for PE8 and not P8 (which I'm on) which is being done as part of the BDUK rollout unlike mine. Thanks for searching at least.

The location of my cabinet is here, the fibre cab directly behind on the grass.
Ok, so roadworks is wrong then? strange I have yet to see roadworks to be that far off.

This must be the fibre cabinet for cabinet 8: https://goo.gl/maps/QtrdNeHAfQ22

I think PCP E8 is an extended cabinet (might be wrong) if not there is no due date that I can see other than its just planned.

Maybe Andrew or Ribble can shed some light where the cabinet is and what's happening.

*** update ***
Now I am confused, are you on cabinet 8 or E8?
Because all places I am checking all say PCP E8 is located where I first said along with what roadworks says (even though roadworks says its cabinet 8)

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 22-Oct-15 01:34:48)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-15 02:22:14
Print Post

Ok, I think I understand what your saying now.

Your saying that you are on cabinet 8 and that cabinet E8 is listed incorrectly on roadworks and cabinet E8 is part of the South Yorkshire BDUK Project.

Right...
I picked a random postcode for cabinet E8 and it says:
Superfast broadband status

Postcode S11 7EE
Deployment Phase Phase 2: January - March 2016

From site: http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/sfsy/where?...
I think cabinet E8 is for the EO Lines according to the Openreach Where and when page.

I did a check and you are in fact part of the Commercial FTTC Project, I know your cabinet wasn't part of the original 66% rollout or may not of been viable back in 2011, but cabinet 8 ({SLRN}{p8}) seems to be now, also it was like you said installed back in 2013 as was done as part of the commercial fttc project.

The thing with the commercial projects, they are being done at a slower delayed speed compared to the BDUK work due to BDUK work have completion dead lines, where as commercial work doesn't.

I am in the same boat as you, I have had all the FTTP hardware installed since end of 2011 and we had several engineers throughout July replacing fibre cables, yet still not enabled.

So like I have said on these forums many times for us on commercial rollouts, its just a waiting game.

*** update ***
Forgot to mention, the Openreach Where and when page has you listed as fibrecomingsoon in the data returned back from the check.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 22-Oct-15 02:32:06)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-15 11:22:49
Print Post

Would a single PCP "serve 500 premises" bearing in mind that the FTTCs go up to 288 lines?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Oct-15 11:24:20
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Why not?

That's why some 288-line FTTC cabinets have had a second one added.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Oct-15 11:53:28
Print Post

This one https://goo.gl/maps/iCibYPJzymS2 serves nearly 600 and has only had the one 288 cab in place since Q2 of 2011
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 22-Oct-15 11:53:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So some individual PCPs have significantly more than 288/300 lines?

I was thinking on the lines that with the FTTCs having a limit of 288, that this probably corresponded in degree to the PCPs.

If the OP is correct with "500 premises", then it seems that he may have to look for tw FTTCs.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Oct-15 11:55:33
Print Post

According to codelook, my exchange has over 100 cabinets. For the 80% that have been upgraded, we can see a count of lines served, though this isn't entirely accurate.

Anyway, in this list, 9 cabinets serve between 400 and 500 lines. 5 cabinets between 500 and 600, and 1 cabinet serves over 600.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to