General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 21:03:48
Print Post

Does a BT80B RF3 affect fibre speeds?

[link to this post]

Hey folks

I posted here earlier in the year saying a new cabinet was built for my EO line but the speed estimate was 5-15mbps and it would've been slower than my current ~16mbps broadband. Apparently BT have done something though because my estimate for fibre now is 23-48mbps with BT 'guaranteeing' a speed of at least 29mbps, yay!
I had a BT80B RF3 installed years and years ago (it was an attempt to speed up my ADSL2+ connection which didn't help in the slightest) and I was wondering if this would affect fibre sync speeds at all? When I move to fibre I want it to be as fast as possible smile

Thanks in advance for any info!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Oct-15 21:44:52
Print Post

Re: Does a BT80B RF3 affect fibre speeds?

[re: Findlay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Findlay:
Apparently BT have done something though because my estimate for fibre now is 23-48mbps with BT 'guaranteeing' a speed of at least 29mbps
That doesn't seem very likely. What form of words did the guarantee use?

What are the FTTC A and B lines from this estimator saying?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 21:59:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I wrote 'guaranteeing' because I don't believe them but this is what BT's website says: http://abload.de/img/bt6hl8x.png

Here are my FTTC estimates now http://abload.de/img/newestimate3lb33.png and here are estimates from earlier in the year to compare http://abload.de/img/fibre25huzn.png smile

Edited by Findlay (Fri 23-Oct-15 22:00:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Oct-15 22:02:44
Print Post

All depends on where you are and where cabinet 6 actually is.

Only way they can guarantee a speed is if that guarantee means if its not met you can walk from the contract

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 22:12:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
All depends on where you are and where cabinet 6 actually is.

Only way they can guarantee a speed is if that guarantee means if its not met you can walk from the contract

I don't mind the guarantee really, as I say I don't really believe it! As long as it's faster than my current broadband I'll be happy. As I say I was just wondering if the RF3 would cause fibre to sync lower than not having an RF3 when I order FTTC?

Edit: About the position of Cab 6 in relation to me, we discussed this earlier in the year smile http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4394524-low... I'm pretty close to the Cabinet but my line length is much longer than the distance by road. Not sure what BT have changed but my estimates have went way up.

Edited by Findlay (Fri 23-Oct-15 22:16:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Oct-15 22:22:36
Print Post

In which case only way to know is to try.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 22:25:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In which case only way to know is to try.

Cool, I wasn't sure if RF3 connections affected fibre speeds like the RF2 things affected ADSL connection so figured I'd ask. Once I figure out what's happening in the aftermath of this TalkTalk hack I'll get it ordered and see how it goes!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Oct-15 22:43:06
Print Post

Worth a punt, but your info TT have has still been hacked. That's if the harvest is as big as we are being warned it might be. (The CEO has put out the alert, but seems not yet to be sure how much info has been collected by the hackers).

Next in line for the blackmail? (The theory is ransoms are being demanded of many major companies, not just ISPs). Sky? BT? Your bank? MasterCard or Visa?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to