General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ava
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 01:33:52
Print Post

Exchange Only line problem and question about solutions

[link to this post]

Last year I was told by my ISP that I have an exchange only line and after some digging found out that there are no plans to upgrade my line or sort it out into a cabinet.

Openreach were supposed to move my line to cabinet 86 in my town but the cabinet reached capacity before they transfered my line - even though we were the first house to receive DSL on the street!

Is there any solution that we can contribute to, even with a budget of £1,000? Would it be possible to pay any amount of money to have a second line fitted to the house which would be enabled with fibre? (we have plans to have two lines fitted instead of just one). Maybe FTTP?

Superfast North Yorkshire told me that there doesnt seem to be work being done - when they planned to transfer us to a cabinet and SFNY had this information and then were told themselves there we no plans to move it.

Being a five bedroom house and someone who downloads 500GB+ a month and uploads a lot of videos and photos I kinda need more than 1Mbps UP and 20Mbps down. (it's a real pain for a single game to take 6-7hours to download instead of what would be 1-2 hours or with fttp 20 minutes..

Edited by Ava (Sun 25-Oct-15 01:39:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Oct-15 09:47:54
Print Post

Re: Exchange Only line problem and question about solutions

[re: Ava] [link to this post]

To be frank given the situation in some parts of North Yorkshire upgrades for those getting 20 Mbps already will only happen once they've helped those with nothing or slow broadband.

Plenty of areas have had two or three new cabinets installed to handle EO lines, so it might just be that nothing is planned at the moment but might happen in the future.

£1,000 might cover the survey fees and paperwork, but network rearrangement is usually more costly than that particularly when undertaken on a one-off custom basis. Fitting a second line would most likely not help.

The full cabinet are you referring to a fibre cabinet or the traditional phone only green cabinet? If the fibre cabinet then usually after a wait as the upgrade teams work through their lists more capacity is added.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ava
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 16:47:58
Print Post

Re: Exchange Only line problem and question about solutions

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes it is the fibre cabinet - however I do not see us being upgraded in the near future as everyone on our street is going through the fibre cabinet but we are not (for whatever reason).

Though, I do move out of this house in two years (or three) and I am wondering if it will be upgraded by then - our street being fibre enabled for a year or two now.

Of course there are no ETAs, but a rough estimate would be nice to still have some hope

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to