General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 14:53:00
Print Post

ETA for FTTC GREAT DUNMOW Cabinet 12

[link to this post]

Having spent the past 15 months trying to order FTTC for our current home (which is finally due to be installed this Friday) it now looks like we may have to move again and the new place has even poorer ADSL connectivity than where we are now:

Address *, CM6 2JJ on Exchange GREAT DUNMOW is served by Cabinet 12
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available

I looked up the address on superfast Essex and it seems that it is on the list for BDUK rollout between 2016 and 2019. If we go there it won't be until next Summer at the earliest.

Is there any way to find out when in that window it is likely to get the FTTC treatment? Also, any way to find out where cab 12 is? The address is a good few miles from Dunmow which would explain the slow speed but it is only a tiny hamlet so I am fearing that even FTTC will be pretty poor unless there is a cabinet actually in Little Easton.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-15 15:16:43
Print Post

Re: ETA for FTTC GREAT DUNMOW Cabinet 12

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

If broadband is important then don't do it, or be prepared to wait till 2019.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 16:41:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, but if it happens we won't have much of a say and, at those quoted speeds it will mean I won't be able to work from home any more (tricky now at 3bmps, impossible at 1-2 I suspect.) I don't do that regularly but it is always good to have as an option.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User solchain
(learned) Mon 26-Oct-15 16:45:53
Print Post

According to codelook, the approx postcode for cab12 is CM6 2BD, but that seems to be on private land or something because google streetview hasn't been through there - around it but not by it.

If it makes you feel better, our predicted survey date was March 2016 let alone for installation, but I am writing this from out newly installed fibre line, so these dates mean nothing (we are a different county though), all you can really do is wait, I will say though that if that cab is where it seems to be then I can understand why it may take a while.
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 16:50:48
Print Post

Superfast Essex are meant to be reporting more exactly when cabinets in Phase2 are getting upgraded in the next week or so.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 18:27:04
Print Post

https://goo.gl/maps/5LZigXt5Grp
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-15 10:09:15
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Seriously? That's miles from the house and I can't see any sign of a cabinet there.

I did find one in the village via google here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8922859,0.3346332,3a...

but I can't see any number on it. I guess I will have to go out and inspect it in the flesh.

Who knows what route the cables follow but if that's the one it could well be less than 1km.

If its anywhere near the spot Ribble mentions then it will be at least 4km.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 27-Oct-15 10:19:54
Print Post

On Ribble's link, look for the street sign saying Beaumont Hill, to the left is a rough track, and just to te left of that is a large tree. Sitting under the tree, is a BT cabinet.

the one you link to is a fibre cabinet and will not have a number, you need to find the PCP it is linked to - normally within a 50m radius. Someone there has been very kind in allow the cabinet in their garden - without that there may not have been a suitable location.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 27-Oct-15 10:22:39)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Oct-15 12:37:04
Print Post

The cabinet in Manor Road is not an Openreach cabinet. Probably an electricity supply cabinet. There is no Openreach cabinet in Little Easton
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 27-Oct-15 13:11:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Maybe zooming in would help https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8816485,0.3577007,3a...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to