General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alondoncyclist
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 15:56:42
Print Post

FTTP Install

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone

Can someone please explain how a FTTP installation works? We are moving (fingers crossed) into a new build block of flats in about 6 weeks in Stratford (London). All of the flats are now listed in the BT Wholesale checker as having FTTP available (coming from the Mile End exchange). FTTP appears to be the only option that comes up. ADSL/ADSL2+/FTTC are not listed for any of the flats.

1. Would the developer and/or BT have pre-run the fibre as part of the construction? Hence FTTP is the only option?

2. If the cable is already there does this mean then that for this FTTP installation there will only need to be one engineer visit as the cable is already laid between the property and the exchange?

3. What happens during the installation? Does the engineer connect the fibre at the exchange first and then come to the flat to install the modem etc?

4. What is the lead time for ordering? We are really keen to get flying with fibre as soon as we move in, so would want to put the order in as soon as we get formal confirmation of the completion date which is probably going to be 2 weeks ahead.

5. Anything else we should know before we order?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the number of questions. We are so excited about fibre. Having lived with slow rural broadband for so long we literally can't wait!
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Wed 28-Oct-15 17:19:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install

[re: alondoncyclist] [link to this post]

Developer should have pre-run the fibre to each apartment using a kit provided by Openreach. I'm sure they will have done otherwise it will be virtually impossible for Openreach to do it now as all the cable runs will now be concealed.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-15 17:32:04
Print Post

OK, I got answers to some of these ....

1. There will be fibre run in to each of the flats from a central DP node in the complex somewhere. Within the flat it is often located in a utility cupboard.

2. Yep.

3. It can depend on a few variables. When I do similar installations in the flats by Newbury racecourse, I will have to fit the the ONTE and CSP in the flat. Then fit a light source, identify the fibre in the DP node, splice here and also at the splitter node out side. All this takes a fair while.
It may be that more of this work has already been completed, there are properties in Wokingham where it is all in situ when the punters move in, and the owners just need to order service.

4. Sorry, I don't know this one.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Oct-15 17:33:44
Print Post

FTTP in new build flats from Openreach usually only happens when lots of cooperation from the builder so worth pestering estate agent or asking a resident who is already in one of the flats.

With FTTP no matter whether a flat or a house nothing to be done at the exchange, that has all been done as part of the roll-out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alondoncyclist
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 18:11:59
Print Post

Brilliant! Thanks for the replies. Counting down the days now!
  Print Thread

Jump to