Can someone please explain how a FTTP installation works? We are moving (fingers crossed) into a new build block of flats in about 6 weeks in Stratford (London). All of the flats are now listed in the BT Wholesale checker as having FTTP available (coming from the Mile End exchange). FTTP appears to be the only option that comes up. ADSL/ADSL2+/FTTC are not listed for any of the flats.
1. Would the developer and/or BT have pre-run the fibre as part of the construction? Hence FTTP is the only option?
2. If the cable is already there does this mean then that for this FTTP installation there will only need to be one engineer visit as the cable is already laid between the property and the exchange?
3. What happens during the installation? Does the engineer connect the fibre at the exchange first and then come to the flat to install the modem etc?
4. What is the lead time for ordering? We are really keen to get flying with fibre as soon as we move in, so would want to put the order in as soon as we get formal confirmation of the completion date which is probably going to be 2 weeks ahead.
5. Anything else we should know before we order?
Thanks in advance. Sorry for the number of questions. We are so excited about fibre. Having lived with slow rural broadband for so long we literally can't wait!