General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User homertimpson
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 18:23:41
Print Post

Who is accepting orders in this cabinet?

[link to this post]

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible so as not to bore you.

Placed an order for Sky Fibre way back in August and it went live on 20th September - and promptly went down 1 hour later!!
No phone or Fibre for 24 hours - phone was then reinstated.
No Internet for 3 weeks - 5 incompetent Sky Tech/Customer Service reps later, I finally got a bright one who reinstated my original ADSL line.
"Apparently", the cabinet had issues - then it was full - then it was being repared/upgraded - please take your pick.

I then followed the progres myself via the BT wholesale availability checker since I was wasting my time waiting for promised returned calls from Sky that never materialised.

The Availability Date moved from the 14th October to the 28th October however last Saturday, [24th October], the BTWAC changed to the following: Waiting List,

"This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn."

I phoned Sky last week and pushed them to get their fingers out as I wanted to know if I was on the waiting list and, if not, for them to place an order to get me on the list. Typical of Sky, they said that they were not in a position to place an order yet and they'd phone me back on the 28th bewteen 1pm & 2pm with an update.

You've guessed it - they failed to phone me back.

I phoned them an hour ago to complain again and have now been told that Sky actually do not have any capacity available to them in the cabinet and that fibre is off the agenda for the forseeable future!!

Went online with BT to try and place an order for a completely new line only to be told that BT Infinity is not available in the cabinet.

So, who is actually on this 'waiting list' and who is taking orders for this cabinet.
I can't get anyone capable of answering any questions.

District ID WS with NAD key A00016108416

Any help appreciated

Homer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Oct-15 18:27:29
Print Post

Re: Who is accepting orders in this cabinet?

[re: homertimpson] [link to this post]

Sounds like maybe an early life failure of the installed line card (at a guess) and thus waiting for that to get fixed, but with demand climbing rapidly as roll-out still on-going it can take some time for these things to happen.

Is the messaging same for neighbours and checked whether any have somehow managed to order a service?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 18:29:12
Print Post

I can't answer the question as to what is going on, but AIUI ISPs do not have allocations of the connections on a cabinet. It's simply first come, first served.

That's as long as the ISP/Wholesaler has a connection at the exchange between the Openreach fibre and their own services. Sky has, because if they hadn't you couldn't have had FTTC from them at the start. BT Wholesale has.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 19:08:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

Galling that it states "You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn"

If BT Infinity are telling me that it isn't available to them and Sky also, then, who is this mystery provider who has access to ports in this cabinet and is in a position to place an order?

Talk Talk? - and thir website is down smile

Homer
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 19:15:05
Print Post

I've never heard of a waiting list on full cabinets.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 20:07:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Phoned Talk Talk - no Fibre availabilty.

So, I had fibre for 1 hour - I had a fibre order and for some reason Sky failed to get me back in the cabinet.

Did putting me back on to ADSL 'cancel' my fibre order and, with Sky failing to put the order back into the system, they've denied me the chance to get on the waiting list?

If the cabinet isn't full, and BT, Sky and TT don't have access - who is the phantom provider?

Homer
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 20:14:55
Print Post

What speed did you have for that short time? If your estimate is below 15Mbps Infinity isn't offered.

Don't order anything, but try Plusnet, Aquiss, Zen. (I could suggest several but those three represent different types of ISP).

(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 20:37:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Came home on the day of the install and the Sky Hub was reporting 22MB Down and 4 MB Up

It had only been live for 45 minutes and I didn't even get time to get the line stats copied before it went down!!

I'll try Plusnet - 'aint giving up yet smile

Home
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Oct-15 23:21:37
Print Post

No waiting list as such, it's a case of the cabinet is full. If say a neighbour moved and hence removed their fibre, a slot would be available. You would have to try and place an order at the right time to get this slot. ISPs don't call you or put you in a queue for this, it's a case of a neighbour moves, a fibre slot becomes available, the first person to call the ISP and order fibre gets this slot. Now the slot it gone, it'll show as at capacity again.

Yes moving to ADSL would have given up your slot in the fibre cabinet, somebody else will have presumably taken that slot.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 28-Oct-15 23:23:56)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Oct-15 01:50:00
Print Post

BTW are introducing a new feature known as "FTTC waiters" where orders for FTTC on a cabinet with no capacity will be accepted, and queued, for up to 90 days. Nothing will be done unless capacity becomes available ... whatever was holding things up ... and orders will progress on a first-come, first-served basis.

I guess the checker has been updated to show where a queue could be in place. However, I haven't heard of any ISP actually being ready to make use of it. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard that BTW have released the feature yet.

Traditional advice has been to watch the checker for live availability, and place an order pronto. Future advice will probably need to change when "FTTC waiters" goes live.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to