General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:20:22
Print Post

Fibre came and went!

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help.

Exchange Cabinet 4 Castle Combe went live for FTTC two weeks ago. Showing available to order so orders placed for new lines and Fibre products.

ISP (Zen) now advise 'no spare DSLAM ports in the cabinet'. BT checker site and Zen site now showing that FTTC not available in the area and status changed to 'Exploring other solutions' - a big change from accepting orders.

Is this something that is normal - temporary blips in capacity or will a new cabinet need to be installed? Unfortunately several new line installations and business relocation are dependent on this, so if it is game over for FTTC, then another location will be needed.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:29:17
Print Post

Re: Fibre came and went!

[re: Mendip] [link to this post]

Two likely explanations

1. Line cards failed shortly after first customers went live
or
2. Enough people ordered that the initial capacity has gone, and just needs someone with more line cards in the boot of their car to install one

The need for another cabinet will usually be some way away, as space for a couple of line card upgrades normally.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:51:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron for you very swift reply - much appreciated.

Following your logic then, keeping the orders live should / might perhaps / with a following wind, give someone with a line card in their boot a reason to stop by the cabinet. i.e. there is a definite need therefore pop one in. Do you concur?

I am just very surprised, by the changes to all the vendor checks, including the BT DSL Checker site - no longer available at all - just ADSL Max - yesterday it had FTTC - gone. Do these change from available to order to Not available at all so quickly? I would have expected them to say available but delay due to capacity.

Once again many, many thanks in advance.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:54:50
Print Post

The checkers sometimes throw a wobbly so might even just be computer says no issue, first stage is for the providers to check their data and raise it with their wholesaler i.e. Openreach usually

If a real capacity issue then its just a case of the teams doing those upgrades working their way around the cabinets that need new hardware adding

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:06:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron, your insight is very much appreciated.

Logically then I will keep the orders in, and hopefully all will turn out good.

I will revert back with the final outcome - as to when, hopefully soon.

Once again, many, many thanks.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:16:24
Print Post

1st line card in the cabinet has reached capacity. Needs the right people to spot it and request additional capacity to be provided
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:26:55
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thank you Ribble, that is good to know.

Do you have any experience / knowledge of how long this process typically takes? Having orders already 'in motion', would that be enough to trigger 'the right people''?

Many thanks in advance for your time taken assisting me.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:46:27
Print Post

Can't say. Seems a bit of a lottery to me
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-15 11:01:31
Print Post

Same at my cab. Gone from acceptig orders to Exploring Solutions.
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-15 11:21:06
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me bobble_bob.

Perhaps the worse bit is being unable to obtain any information from Openreach regarding a reason and resolution. Openreach is a huge organisation with huge logistics and manpower and of course different priorities and curved balls no doubt every day facing them - this is not an Openreach bash. But it would be helpful at the least to the end business user if they could simply let ISPs know a) the reason and b) a possible resolution date. This would allow the end user the ability to make informed decisions to uae alternative technologies in the interim.

Sure they probably do not want to make promises they cannot keep, as I would not wish to do so with my business, but more information than 'you cannot have it' has to be a positive for all. If they can update their website in a matter of hours to say this, perhaps it also might be possible to state why and when in the future......or is it really a fire fighting lottery as perhaps suggested earlier in this thread?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to