General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acroft
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:34:39
Print Post

Better Broadband for Norfolk question

[link to this post]

It's my understanding from reading the OpenReach website that fibre cabinets installed as part of the govenment/EU funded Better Broadband schemes (Norfolk, Suffolk etc) should mean that any provider can offer a Fibre Optic service using this new FTTC network. However this doens't seem to be the case.

Any ideas on when or even IF what Openreach say will happen WILL happen, and which company or organisation is part of the process of deciding or implementing it?

I just want my parents to be able to have access to a fully open market place as it implies should be the case on the BetterBroadband http://www.betterbroadbandnorfolk.co.uk/how-to-get-i... website and subsequent external link to the ofcom websiite http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio/price-compari...

Many thanks in advance
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 12:54:00
Print Post

Re: Better Broadband for Norfolk question

[re: acroft] [link to this post]

All of the BDUK funded FTTC cabinets via BT are available for all providers via BT wholesale. TalkTalk and Sky use a slightly different connection at the exchange and may or may not offer it (their choice) but all providers can (and nearly all do) provide connection.

What is the specific issue as from what you say they should be able to offer from any of the suppliers that any of the rest of us can.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:10:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

All of the BDUK funded FTTC cabinets via BT are available for all providers via BT wholesale.
And not just BDUK funded cabinets. BT's commercially and community funded cabinets and FTTP services are likewise available to all providers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 13:18:20
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Indeed - didn't say that as the question seemed to be specifically about BDUK.

Although if talking FTTP then whilst it is available very few providers have chosen to take it up - I assume because it uses a different set of processes to order and there aren't enough available for most providers to bother.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Oct-15 14:24:22
Print Post

My apologies if you thought I was correcting you. My post was more aimed at those who don't understand that Openreach services are available to all ISPs unlike those provided by say Virgin Media. Not that all ISPs choose to do so, the example of ISP lack of support for Openreach FTTP being a prime example.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 14:59:14
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
My apologies if you thought I was correcting you.

Nah, no worries, just wanted to be clear in my response - and happy to be corrected when I'm wrong (not that that ever happens wink)
Standard User acroft
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:43:56
Print Post

Hi thanks for the replies, the exchange they're connected to as an old rural one that was never upgraded several years ago when some of the local towns were. It has broadband which usually gives speeds of around 6mb as they're close to the exchange and most of the time it serves most of their needs. However the speed drops in peak times, which I understand is a limitation of the technology. up until now their service from talktalk goes "via" BT which means there's a surcharge, however I was hoping that the Better Broadband scheme would mean they could get fibre from talktalk so their youview box is more reliable regardless of the time of day, but talktalk say fibre isn't available. i wonder if it's what you said about sky connecting differently - which I don't really undserstand what that means. What do sky do differently that talktalk don't? They relaly don't want to go with BT as they've had problems in the past with them, and the simplest thing seems to be able to stick with talktalk and simply upgrade, but struggling to find out why fibre isn't available, or when it will be ....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:53:52
Print Post

If the TalkTalk service is NOT their LLU service then best advice is leave TalkTalk and goto someone like BT or PlusNet. TalkTalk offnet services (and same for other LLU providers) are generally under resourced.

Without knowing the exchange and cabinet involved its difficult to say what is going on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acroft
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 19:25:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's not LLU, That's what I meant by rural exchange. But that's why I'm confused that other companies apart from BT can offer a fibre service, and why I originally asked the question because the Better Broadband site explicitly says that any provider can use the fibre network?
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 30-Oct-15 19:48:45
Print Post

If you put your parents number in http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome it will tell you if fibre is available (as well as what Exchange and Cabinet they are connected too)

However the speed drops in peak times, which I understand is a limitation of the technology. up until now their service from talktalk goes "via" BT which means there's a surcharge, however I was hoping that the Better Broadband scheme would mean they could get fibre from talktalk so their youview box is more reliable regardless of the time of day, but talktalk say fibre isn't available.

This isn't due to the technology but as others have suggested its due to TalkTalk not buying enough capacity from BT for their non-LLU customers - hence the advice to change ISP

Edited by gt94sss2 (Fri 30-Oct-15 19:51:22)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to