General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Fri 30-Oct-15 11:44:17
Print Post

Openreach modem questions

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I've got my engineer appointment booked for next week, just one quick question. I'd prefer to not wall mount the Openreach VDSL modem, is that going to be an issue? I've read a few threads about heat.

Secondly is it worth going down the twisted cable route vs straight cable for the RJ11 fly lead? The distance between my socket and the modem is less than 0.5M

Do the engineers call ahead? Access won't be an issue as my wife is able to sit in during the appointment slot but if notice is provided I'd like to attend.

Thanks in advance guys! smile
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 30-Oct-15 11:50:35
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem questions

[re: Deep_Blue] [link to this post]

My ECI lays flat, it does get warm but it is not wall mounted. Hidden away in a cupboard.

I did invest in a Belkin cable and my BT engineer did give me a call 30 minutes before he arrived when he was checking for a line fault.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 15ms Ping, Sync ~ 68.93/18.83Mbps
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:23:38
Print Post

Lay flat is normally OK - however, do not cover it and do not place it on a fabric or cloth such as carpet or fluffy type mats as that will hinder the airflow.

Flat v twisted pair. At 0.5m you should be OK with flat, not ideal however a lot will depend on what other electronics and power supplies are close by. Use what ever you have to start with and see what your stats say - if it is under-performing then maybe a change. Do not fall for the marketing hype that some companies use - you should be able to get a 2pair Cat5e RJ11 for £1 or so!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Oct-15 15:30:28
Print Post

Do the engineers call ahead? Access won't be an issue as my wife is able to sit in during the appointment slot but if notice is provided I'd like to attend.

Yep, they should do.

Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:20:15
Print Post

I'd just like to thank those who responded, I'll be keeping my ears out on Wednesday smile

You guys rock!
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-15 16:52:42
Print Post

Are they still giving out the Openreach modems?

BT just supplied me with a Homehub5 which does the VDSL and router in one - I presumed the others would do the same since even the router I have from before is VDSL capable (TP-Link which I have had nearly a year).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:14:48
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

Depends on the ISP, if its an engineer install you get the Operneach modem usually, if its self-install you get whatever the provider sends you, or with some smaller providers what you buy yourself.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:17:30
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

Many still do. Probably most that do engineer installs. BT, Sky and TalkTalk send out self-install VDSL2 routers.

Engineer installs are expected to give the Clean range figures, whereas self-installs are likely to give Impacted range.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:57:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Engineer installs are expected to give the Clean range figures, whereas self-installs are likely to give Impacted range.

That is the first I have read of that. Useful to bear in mind for the future.

Regards

David
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 18:03:26
Print Post

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

"Expected". Not guaranteed. And a decent self-install has a good chance of getting Clean. Just as in ADSLx, but FTTC is more sensitive.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to