General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hallucyn8
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:42:58
Print Post

Is my cabinet getting fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi

Hope someone can help clear something up for me. Having read a few posts and articles on here and starting to get my head around how the fibre rollout works I'm a bit confused as to if, or when, I'm likely to have fibre available to me.

According to the Openreach "Where and When" site I am an in an enabled area but my cabinet has not yet been upgraded for fibre. However the description does say that the cabinet is in the plans to be upgraded.

When I check on the BT Broadband Availability Checker website there is no mention of FTTC on the Featured Products list and my understanding is that if the cabinet is included in plans to be upgraded then FTTC should be listed with an Availability Date.

Can anyone clarify the likely situation for my cabinet based on what appears to me (although I could be wrong) two contradictory pieces of information?

Not sure if it's relevant but searches done on both sites have been address searches as my line is currently provided by TalkTalk so the number is not recognised.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 13:00:29
Print Post

Re: Is my cabinet getting fibre?

[re: Hallucyn8] [link to this post]

Without knowing which cabinet and exchange no-one can do much

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Hallucyn8
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 13:06:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was expecting to get more of a theoretical answer rather than specific hence not including the details but the exchange is Ibstock (EMIBSTO) and the cabinet is 12.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 13:25:12
Print Post

Some areas have more information available, so useful to know, but on the theory

The BT Wholesale checker generally gives no clue about a cabinet going live until it has gone live, some of the old commercial cabinets have ETA dates but not many left like that now. The County projects should be the best information source.

So the Openreach site saying you are in the plans is good news, but would I buy a house in the area based on that - no, since plans can change and it might mean by Jan 2016 or December 2017. Time to get excited is when you see a fibre twin appear alongside your current cabinet, and even then it can still be months away.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Hallucyn8
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 13:39:03
Print Post

Thanks for the information. I hadn't come across the County projects side of things before and hadn't realised that this was now how the rollout was being handled.

There's certainly no fibre twin alongside the current cabinet yet however I've found the country project website for my area which suggests that additional areas in Ibstock are "coming soon" however looking at their expected coverage map, which is not particularly easy to read, it looks like my estate is a little blob of yellow (which is late 2016 onwards) in a big sea of commercial grey!

So it looks like I'll be waiting a while yet.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-15 17:13:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Time to get excited is when you see a fibre twin appear alongside your current cabinet, and even then it can still be months away.

Almost 3 years and counting, in my case.

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Fri 30-Oct-15 17:14:30)

Standard User project_x_uk
(member) Fri 30-Oct-15 17:29:45
Print Post

I was told (work for a certain telecoms company) they don't tell people anymore due to people using it to influence house sales etc so they just turn up and in goes the dslam
Standard User MacLe0d
(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-15 12:30:57
Print Post

[re: project_x_uk] [link to this post]

My cabinet went from coming soon to Under Review. So sometimes you have to take what OR says with a pinch of salt.
  Print Thread

Jump to