General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-15 11:40:58
Print Post

BT infinity switchover woes

[link to this post]

Friday (30th Oct) was our date for switching over to BT and connecting to FTTC.

At 9:20 the phone went off and by 9:40 it was back on - great I thought. I disconnected my old router and plugged in the homehub5 and shortly after that the broadband stared working again but only connecting at 4mbps - presumably ADSL.

Later in the morning the broadband went off and has never come back on. Worse, we discovered that incoming calls were not coming through (though outbound are fine) someone else in the village is getting our calls and getting very confused and upset. I have tried to call today to explain what is going on but they hung up before I could explain anything - obviously very stressed out by all the calls from BT they have been getting.

Anyway, I have been trying to find out what happened but the call centre staff kept giving different and contradictory responses. I finally used the online chat method today (as I am at work with internet access) and I eventually got put on to a UK person who seemed to have a clue. Apparently the engineer was unable to find a port on the 'fibre equipment' and they are going to be returning with more equipment at an indeterminate future date.

I have been promised an update by Wednesday (4th) but I guess the best I can hope for is the crossed line situation to be resolved and maybe be plugged back in to ADSL.

Does any of this sound familiar or plausible? I waited for over a year to be able to order FTTP so I assumed the fact they finally took the order would mean there would be ports available so I am rather confused.

Prior to this we had ADSL with TalkTalk so the switch involved moving the line over from TalkTalk to BT and from ADSL (exchange) to VDSL (cabinet). I presume the lack of port on the VDSL kit meant they connected our line back to the exchange. I am guessing this would be a different line as the old one went to TalkTalk (or is that purely done at the exchange?) This is presumably a bad line hence the strange crossing that is going on.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:00:42
Print Post

Re: BT infinity switchover woes

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

Sounds like the Openreach engineer had a pub lunch first.
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:02:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

smile

But the main work seemed to all happen around 9:30 so it was more like a pub breakfast.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:10:42
Print Post

What number does dialling 17070 tell you? It should be other subscriber's.

Edited to correct the number blush!

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 02-Nov-15 14:10:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:14:37
Print Post

Re: BT infinity switchover woes *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Mon 02-Nov-15 12:57:55
Print Post

Similar to my experience.
Changed from TT to BT FTTC phone was switched mid morning on a Friday but no broadband. After many calls to the very poor help line, I also got conflicting information, broadband finally connected on the Tuesday.
Reason turned out to be an incorrect connection in the cabinet, perhaps it was the same man!!
At least my phone calls did not go to someone else but when the first bill came we were charged for a call that we did not make. It was for a small amount so didn't bother to chase that one in view of the problem we had resolving the connection problem.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Nov-15 13:17:25
Print Post

I'd say that you need to ring BT and report crossed lines. Don't bother trying to explain the ins and outs of the issue with the FTTC jumpering, that will only cloud the problem.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Mon 02-Nov-15 13:29:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What number does dialling 07070 tell you? It should be other subscriber's.
Perhaps 17070 . . .

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User andyhurley
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-15 13:35:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yep, that's what I did once I realised there was a crossed line problem. Still going to be days before they come and fix it though.

As for 07070 I will try that tonight but I did try looking at the caller ID on my mobile when I called it and it reported our correct home phone line.

It sounds like BT tried calling me on Friday, presumably to tell me the phone was working but it went though to someone else who was rather confused. They then failed to try contacting me in any other way to let me know there was a problem. They have my mobile number as secondary contact and email address but the only email they sent was to say the phone had been transferred.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Nov-15 13:38:08
Print Post

As for 07070

That's 17070. If this provide you with the incorrect directory number for line, make a note of it and pass it to your voice supplier, this will help the engineer in a quicker repair.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to