General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Wed 04-Nov-15 19:01:20
Print Post

Which router for 1gbps fibre?

[link to this post]

So, I have hyperoptic going in tomorrow and I want to take that as a cue to upgrade my aging Asus N66U router for something AC.

House consists of a fair few devices - Gaming PC, iMac, Macbook, MBP, 2xiPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, Smart TV and a few I've probably not thought of.

I believe the iMac and laptops being 2015 models support 4x4 AC?

Due to the location of the Hyperoptic socket, it's possible I may not be able to have a wired connection anymore, so I want to make sure I do it right.

The best I've come up with is the RT-AC87U which does things like OpenVPN server and traffic shaping which are essential to me.

But I really have no idea of what else I should be considering, if anything?

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 19:15:44
Print Post

Re: Which router for 1gbps fibre?

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Hyperoptic provide a router already with the service, is that you are wanting to add something faster for handling the wireless side only.

Adding another router after the Hyperoptic router creates a double NAT scenario which is not ideal, but would work, ideally you want to ensure any wireless add-ons are able to operate in an access point mode (the Asus N66U can do this)

One big issue if Ethernet is totally ruled out is that the fastest Wi-Fi may not penetrate modern insulated doors and walls very well.

The Netgear Nighthawk X6 at over £200 is one of the fastest ones out at the moment, but not sure if it has a direct access point mode built in, or whether you need to rig it up (which is possible with any router)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Wed 04-Nov-15 20:50:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Hyperoptic provide a router already with the service, is that you are wanting to add something faster for handling the wireless side only.

Adding another router after the Hyperoptic router creates a double NAT scenario which is not ideal, but would work, ideally you want to ensure any wireless add-ons are able to operate in an access point mode (the Asus N66U can do this)

One big issue if Ethernet is totally ruled out is that the fastest Wi-Fi may not penetrate modern insulated doors and walls very well.

The Netgear Nighthawk X6 at over £200 is one of the fastest ones out at the moment, but not sure if it has a direct access point mode built in, or whether you need to rig it up (which is possible with any router)

I intend to replace the Hyperoptic router, which their knowledge base suggests is absolutely fine.

Fortunately there's not a big distance between my hallway where the installation guide suggests they'll want to install the faceplate and my living room where the majority of devices reside.

RIP FTTC, Hello Sky 10/1 frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AdrianPH
(regular) Thu 05-Nov-15 08:36:38
Print Post

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Do not buy the RT-AC87U you will not enjoy the experience.

I had 4 one after the other , all of which failed to work properly, they have well documented issues.

The Quantenna WiFi drivers are dire.

Look at the AC3200 , I got a refund on the 87U ( the supplier I used has now stopped shipping them) and upgraded to the AC3200 , it is awesome and has worked flawlessly.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-15 09:14:04
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

-1 for the Asus RT-AC87R

I had one and yes the Quantenna chipset is pants, random disconnections on 5ghz, router overheats and generally not had a great experience. That said, you should definitely buy a Mu-Mimo router for best wifi speeds, just not the AC87R. If your router MUST be an Asus then wait for a bit as the Asus AC88 should be released shortly, this is a Mu-Mimo router and uses twin broadcom chipsets which should be fine. Otherwise i'd highly recommend the Linksys EA8500 (AC2600) this is a brilliant Mu-Mimo router, gives me 75/18 meg on all our pc's/laptops anywhere in the house on wifi.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps