General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bewA
(learned) Thu 05-Nov-15 06:25:42
Print Post

Interleave Depth

[link to this post]

Hi!

I've had issues with my line recently with noise which caused sync issues on the router. This has now been fixed by Openreach but as you might have guessed this caused DLM to go nuts to try and stabilise the line!

Here are my line stats

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved

My question is this, Over the last week there have been a couple of DLM managed resets early morning which seems to be normal and each time the Interleaving depth has been reduced. So I guess i'm answering my own question but the fact that the interleaving depth is being reduced means that the line conditions are recovering as far as DLM is concerned and then it will hopefully start increasing the bandwdith?
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 05-Nov-15 15:02:42
Print Post

Re: Interleave Depth

[re: bewA] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bewA:
My question is this, Over the last week there have been a couple of DLM managed resets early morning which seems to be normal and each time the Interleaving depth has been reduced. So I guess i'm answering my own question but the fact that the interleaving depth is being reduced means that the line conditions are recovering as far as DLM is concerned and then it will hopefully start increasing the bandwdith?
Yes, indeed.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-15 15:04:41
Print Post

Although the interleaving may be being reduced, until it is removed altogether you will suffer a loss of 6-10Mbps downstream sync, with the "Max" figure higher than it would be on Fast Path.

You haven't posted any error stats, but I suspect you are tweaking the noise margin for higher speed. As DLM's main interest is the error rates, I suggest that if I am right you revert to the DLM-set noise margin. This will reduce your sync, but also your error rate. Leading to an earlier removal of interleaving.

It's even possible that while you are tweaking the error rates are high enough to keep it on interleaved. Once it has gone, with luck you can tweak again without triggering it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bewA
(learned) Thu 05-Nov-15 15:24:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS!

I'm not tweaking any SNR stuff! In fact i don't even think i can with the TalkTalk "superrouter".
I do have a Billion 8800NL but with recent problems i went back to the TalkTalk router so they couldn't blame me for messing with stuff or not using their supplied/testing hardware etc! smile

Plus although i understand small amount about SNR tweaking but not enough to be confident i'm not going to upset DLM!
I'll post the stats from a different screen tonight as i think there is error information there!

about going back to fastpath, i was under the impression from reading something recently (not sure where) that once you are on an interleaved profile it will never go back to fastpath? I guess that's not the case then?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-15 15:55:37
Print Post

It was true on BT Wholesale ADSLx that the BTW DLM never turned interleaving off automatically once it had turned it on, (I think I have seen one person say it did on their connection), but on the Openreach FTTC DLM it does. Some users have (or had) it flip-flopping every few weeks. Their lines must be on the borderline.

Re the tweaking, I suspected it because of this line:- "Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 3.8".

That's a very low noise margin for FTTC. I don't recall seeing any un-tweaked even as low as 5dB. As you aren't tweaking it looks to me as if you do have a fair source of noise still affecting it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User bewA
(learned) Thu 05-Nov-15 15:59:30
Print Post

well i do have a Openreach Mk3 so maybe i'll whip that off and use the microfilter that came with the "superrouter"!

I'm just nervous about messing with stuff frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-15 18:57:15
Print Post

The Mk3 should be better than a router-included dangly, but of course may be faulty. I assume you are connecting direct to the Mk2, not at an extension.

Also, how long is the cabling from your router to the Mk3?

Standard User bewA
(regular) Thu 05-Nov-15 19:03:41
Print Post

The router is connected directly with the supplied RJ11 cable which is about 1mtr i guess.
I have no extensions off my socket either (hardwired or otherwise).

Looks like the connection was reset while i was at work today. Here's the latest "stats" from the router...

Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Line standard:
VDSL2
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 9 hours 59 minutes 46 seconds
Standard User bewA
(regular) Thu 05-Nov-15 19:12:51
Print Post

Well i've just dumped the Mk3 and gone back to the dongle and plugged directly into the test socket and things not much different!

Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Line standard:
VDSL2
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 0 hours 3 minutes 19 seconds

I don't get it, things were so great when it first started, i was getting 40mbps down on fastpath and since then it's been getting progressively worse frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-15 19:40:32
Print Post

Those two sets look right now regarding the noise margin, but decidedly ropey wrt the downstream connection speed. I used to get over 50Mbps on the same attenuation, 19.7dB, and not long ago something happened on the line and now I get 60Mbps.

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 15142 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59997 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 5.5 6.0
Attn(dB): 19.7 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.6 7.5

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 05-Nov-15 19:41:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to