General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bungie247
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-15 01:13:33
Print Post

FTTH Router / Firewall suggestions?

[link to this post]

Hi peeps, my first post so apologies in advance if it is in the wrong forum. I hope to be moving from ADSL to FTTH in the next few months and wondered if anyone could suggest a replacement for my aging but dearly loved Netgear DG834v4 modem/router. I am running the DGteam firmware which allows for many features that are not standard and I am hoping for suggestions that will still allow for a similar level of flexibility.

Regards, Bungie.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Nov-15 01:38:34
Print Post

Re: FTTH Router / Firewall suggestions?

[re: Bungie247] [link to this post]

Who is this FTTH from? Openreach, VM media, Gigaclear or other?

If it is BT Openreach FTTP then the modem is provided and AIUI you cannot swap that out at the moment. Tweaking it/flexibility is not required - the sync speed is the headline speed you sign up for. Full sync at all times. I think that's the case with all FTTH, but I'm not sure.

Whether that translates into full speed throughput is a different matter.

You will need a router, not a modem/router. In the case of OR FTTP it needs an Ethernet WAN port.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-15 02:40:19
Print Post

I just got the Asus AC3200.

It's expensive but does OpenVPN, fancy QoS, dual wan, file server, torrents, and loads more.

It's routing 1gbps just fine for me and wifi has been ultra reliable thus far. I get 500mbps via wifi on my iMac!

Goodbye Sky 10/1 frown Hell 1gbps Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rhetherington
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-15 06:47:23
Print Post

Since you want more flexibility than manufacturers offer with their firmware you want something that will run OpenWrt, pfSense, VyOS, etc.

Some commodity routers do currently do 1Gbps but they do this using proprietary hacks and hardware acceleration. OpenWrt doesn't implement this hardware acceleration and so, once you replace the firmware to get more capabilities, they're no longer capable of such speeds.

At this point in time you probably want an x86 machine (the recent server-grade Atoms are really powerful) but the Turris Omnia is coming next year and should be more than powerful enough to do 1Gbps without acceleration. It's also using an OS based on OpenWrt and, being a non-profit, you should get more bang for your buck.
  Print Thread

Jump to