General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Mon 09-Nov-15 10:50:52
Print Post

Changing from HG612 to Billions 8800NL

[link to this post]

Will I see any benefits or advantages changing from a HG612 to a Billions 8800NL,to use with Asus RT-N66U, presently on 69/16, & a Huawei cab.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 14:18:37
Print Post

Re: Changing from HG612 to Billions 8800NL

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Not in throughput. They seem to be pretty much identical.

If the HG612 isn't hacked, then you may get an indication of the line settings. The 8800NL will certainly display them, but I'm not sure what access is like when running in modem mode, rather than as a combined router/modem.
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Mon 09-Nov-15 15:09:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

HG612 has been hacked, just wonder whether I see any other advantages.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:30:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nightglow:

It's possible that the Billion or other 3rd party modem or AIO solution may have a better cpu or more memory allowing it to maintain a longer period of uptime , the HG612 isn't all that good at long uptime's going by mine 65 days & it became unstable and lost sync/caused dlm to take some adverse action without any logical reason , this was soon reversed by powering off for 40mins adverse action reversed when it established sync
followed by a positive change by DLM 2 days after
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 19:37:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
In what sense? Everyone talks about hacking the HG612 but it's usually meant in the traditional sense of 'modify functionality without documentation' rather than in the sense of trying to subvert the router into doing something malicious.

The HG612 as supplied by BT is not accessible from WAN or LAN. That means there is no attack vector external or internal. The firmware update is performed by the BT agent but that is accessing a server on a private IP address (one within BT's infrastructure) so that's not really a viable attack vector either.

All-in-all I doubt that an HG612 in its original BT form is vulnerable to criminal attack.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 20:48:08
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

By hacked i assume that the op means it's unlocked and flashed with hacked FW So they have access to it's gui and or the line stats,
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Tue 10-Nov-15 08:54:22
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
By hacked i assume that the op means it's unlocked and flashed with hacked FW So they have access to it's gui and or the line stats,

Yes.
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Tue 10-Nov-15 09:33:31
Print Post

My <ahem> flashed HG612 has been up for 130 days straight, Huawei cab. It's very stable on my short line and copes with any throughput I can give it. Much more stable and better synch speed than those awful homehubs, works well with my Billion 7800n that seems to stay connected for around 30 days before BT's end forces a PPPoE reconnect early mornings.

I'd stay with what you have unless the 8800 has some specific facility that you need. I do have a spare HG612 and a router in case of breakdown, you may want to consider a backup set.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User AAuser27
(member) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:22:56
Print Post

Best thing I ever did was buy a 8800NL. I've moved ISP's 3 times and every time even though I take their router for backup/test purposes the 8800NL always ends up running the line. 9 months so far and counting - that's as stable as can be in my eyes.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Nov-15 14:47:19
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

The only thing my 8800NL seems to get wrong is related to IPTV.

When we're using the Youview box for IPTV stuff, the 8800NL sometimes gets its knickers in a twist over allocating IP addresses; especially over WiFi.

If tablets or mobiles fail to grab a WiFi connection, you can bet the problem is in not being allocated an IP address, and the TV is tuned to an IP channel.

I *think* it is restricted to multicast TV (which needs a couple of odd settings on the 8800), rather than catchup TV.
  Print Thread

Jump to