General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User axesgamedev
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-15 18:37:42
Print Post

Will fttc be available to me soon?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I live in a rural village in Wales, (Pencelli) problem is that our whole village is connected to the one next to it (llanfrynach). No one in the village can get fttc because we are all to far away from the cabinet. However bt have begun installing a new nga cabinet in our village. (yay!) But will we be able to connect to this new cabinet, are we stuck because we are already connected to the old one? the new cabinet goes right under the existing lines so i presume that we will be able to? Also a few days ago a new offering popped up on the bt adsl checker (https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html), fibre multicast. Did this appear because the new one is being worked on or is it not related at all? btw i know that fibre multicast is for tv not providing fibre, but is it an indication of fttc coming soon?

Thanks for reading,
Joseph

Edited by axesgamedev (Mon 09-Nov-15 18:48:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Nov-15 19:02:01
Print Post

Re: Will fttc be available to me soon?

[re: axesgamedev] [link to this post]

If there is a new fibre cabinet in Pencilli then given its a small two postcode village the likelihood is that people may be moved over to the new cabinet even if connected to an existing one in LLanfrynach

You need to ask the Superfast Cymru project to confirm its plans for your exact address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-15 19:22:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

That makes sense because if it was only for new properties then it would be empty for quite a while tongue

Thanks for taking a look, i'll fire off an email to superfast cymru now

Thanks,
Joseph

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Nov-15 14:13:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by axesgamedev:
Also a few days ago a new offering popped up on the bt adsl checker (https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html), fibre multicast. Did this appear because the new one is being worked on or is it not related at all? btw i know that fibre multicast is for tv not providing fibre, but is it an indication of fttc coming soon?

If "Fibre Multicast" appears on your results, but FTTC speed estimates don't, it usually means that you are connected to a PCP that has a live FTTC twin, but you are too far from the cabinet.

It hasn't been seen as a prediction of a cabinet yet to come.
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-15 19:48:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the info, do you know the normal time from a cabinet being installed to it being operational? I assume its a few months? 2-3?

Thanks,
Joseph

Current Speed:
5.5mbps down, 0.3mbps up on ADSLMax

Provider:
EE
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Nov-15 21:20:47
Print Post

Weeks to months to years

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Thu 12-Nov-15 22:28:39
Print Post

My FTTC cabinet in a rural area took nearly 2 years from being placed to going live this week (Ironically they built another one closer but still haven't moved anyone over yet so i still can't get fibre!) I think most would be sooner though.

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Nov-15 23:31:30
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

If I read that correctly, the existence of a new cabinet is just an aside, and you are saying your cabinet has now gone live for FTTC but you can't get it. That doesn't add up.

?

You don't get FTTC automatically once your cabinet goes live. It's an upgrade you have to order and pay for.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Thu 12-Nov-15 23:43:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry I wasn't too clear - I'm connected to Cabinet 1 - however I am too far away to receive an FTTC Connection. (Well, almost too far, it's giving me a best estimate of 10 down which isn't really any good - and my neighbour being ever so slightly further away has no estimate at all!). However, BT did build a new Cabinet 3 in the centre of the village but they have not moved anyone over to the new cabinet yet. I checked with Connecting Cumbria and they say there is still work to be done in the exchange area and that I will be connected to cabinet 3.

However the worry is now that Cabinet 1 has gone live, it could cause more complications moving people over. I'm guessing it's probably best to wait until the wholesale checker says i'm connected to Cabinet 3 to order fibre.

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
  Print Thread

Jump to