General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ant105
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-15 18:10:56
Print Post

Fibre optic HELP!

[link to this post]

Evening,

I want to upgrade to fibre optic because i currently have speeds of 4.4mbps. I can only get FTTC currently has virgin is not available in my area. Question is SKY and BT state on their fibre i will on get from 7- 12mbps. I checked this on DSL checker and states the same. My neighbour however is able to get max 80mbps. They are on the same exchange and cabinet has me what would be causing the difference??

Thanks for help
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-15 09:58:44
Print Post

Re: Fibre optic HELP!

[re: ant105] [link to this post]

If you put your number into the checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
it will tell you what cabinet you are connected to then put in your neighbours number and see if your on the same cabinet as them.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User ant105
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 10:02:47
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Yes we are both on the same cabinet? Confused why there is such a difference in speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Fri 13-Nov-15 10:30:38
Print Post

Had exactly the same problem here.
My neighbour 3 doors away got around 75Mb, I got 25Mb on a good day, usually less, &
using DSL Checker gave basically same speed results before I went live.
We were on same cabinet & drops on same front pole, BTOR couldn't explain it other than poor quailty of cable.
After months of complaining, I got moved to another pole at rear of property & now have around 70Mb.

Edited by Nightglow (Fri 13-Nov-15 12:56:28)

Standard User ant105
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 10:32:50
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Thanks Nightglow who did you complain to? I have just found my street cabinet and it is exactly 100 metres away from my front door ? Surely our speeds shouldnt differ so greatly
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Nov-15 10:40:03
Print Post

Slightly different issue, as other poster was talking about actual differences once live.

The checker is not always right and have seen a few like you describe recently, is the cabinet you can see 100 metres displaying the correct cabinet number (only ever shown on the old phone cabinet, rather than new fibre twin)

If the cab has only just gone live, give an extra week and if the records have not updated then email us, will need address and phone number for you, and address of a property getting good estimate and will take up with Openreach. Providers can do the same of course, but most don't understand.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ant105
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 10:46:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mrsaffron yes the box states 57 in the top corner, which DSL states we are both on. There is a new green box next to it which has no numbers on. On another note i checked a few neighbours to left of me and they get the same estimated mbps has myself. Yet some across the road also stated on same box get the 80mbps estiamte?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Nov-15 11:08:06
Print Post

Across the road can be significant, since it is possible for wiring to go 100's of metres down a road before crossing and return along the other side...

Its things like this that has to be looked at before I pass these issues on

If the estimate is wrong it will not limit your speed, so if a provider is willing to place an order that will confirm what is possible on the line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ant105
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 11:10:23
Print Post

Also DSL checker does not recognise my telephone number could this be because i have Sky line rental rather then BT?
Standard User ant105
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 11:15:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mrsaffron i spoke with SKY yesterday and they stated i would only get 7- 12mbps as well i take it that is just their estimate as well? Do you think it may be worth upgrading to fibre and then cancelling should i not get high speeds? Thanks for all your help
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to