General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aps2011
(learned) Sun 15-Nov-15 12:00:07
Print Post

Average FTTC Latency?

[link to this post]

No, not the ping times but how long does it take on average from the appearance of a cabinet to the service being offered?
I could not get fibre broadband when it first arrived in the village nearly 2 years ago. Even the Parish Council was surprised to find that, despite the hype from BT & the County's Better Broadband unit, a significant portion of the village would not benefit as it was connected to a cabinet a short distance from the main road and was not passed by fibre.
In February this year some chalk marks in different colours appeared by the lonesome cabinet - HV, LV, WATER?. These had faded away by early October when a new fibre-type cabinet appeared alongside the old one and with tarmac covered trenches to a BT cable access point and towards the electricity cables. I am guessing that more ground works will be needed to bring in the fibre unless the ducting, if any, carrying the copper cables from the exchange is usable after 40 years in the ground.
I can understand a delay following a site survey but why have a long gap between installing a cabinet and making it function and able to earn revenue? Smacks of spending “other people’s money”.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:01:59
Print Post

Re: Average FTTC Latency?

[re: aps2011] [link to this post]

On the spending other peoples money, if it is a gap funded cabinet they only see the money once the cabinet has gone live.

Average is a very wide thing in this case, a few weeks to a few months is the normal, but could be a year or two e.g. road needs digging up to clear a blocked duct.

Different teams do different parts of the work, and those teams will be found to be very busy, so its just a case of working through the list.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User keith969
(member) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:21:58
Print Post

Can take a while before the FTTC cab is placed and orders accepted. In my case 3 months. But it depends on a lot of things so its hard to say.

'Spending other peoples money' does not apply....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 17:57:12
Print Post

It really depends.

The cabinet serving my home was installed in mid-2013 and was part of BT's own commercial roll out. It didn't go live until last month.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to