General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gtmcclinton
(regular) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:48:31
Print Post

Excited! New cabinet has appeared on codelook

[link to this post]

Hi,

I posted before about my disappointment of moving house and finding out I am on an exchange only ADSL1 line, so 8Mb max.

(I sync at close to 8Mb, but it feels slower than my old 2Mb ADSL2+ line.)

I gather that work is ongoing to remedy EO lines, and something that can happen is for a new PCP to be stood up for the EO lines to go on to, then a fibre cabinet next to that for the people that want fibre.

Well, I have been checking codelook weekly since about early october, and yesterday I noticed that there is data for a new cabinet (P4) covering my postcode, and quite a few other (I guess EO) postcodes.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

There is no talk of fibre on it, and it says it will be live January 2014, which is obviously wrong.

Do you guys think this could be a new PCP about to be stood up? I haven't seen any new cabinets going up in the area.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:18:27
Print Post

Re: Excited! New cabinet has appeared on codelook

[re: gtmcclinton] [link to this post]

Posting a link to the cabinet on that site doesn't help, that sites sessions expire and all we see is
Sorry, your browser needs Cookies enabled
to view all the pages at this web site

So what exchange and cabinet?

Also a Post Code helps as well.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 17-Nov-15 13:19:04)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:33:20
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Try P4 on KA6 6GA

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:35:04
Print Post

Oops, sorry. I should know better!

Exchange is WSJOP, new cabinet listed is P4 (even though it says enabled from Jan 2014, it definitely wasn't there last week), postcode is KA6 6NZ
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 14:48:27
Print Post

Do you guys think this could be a new PCP about to be stood up?

Yes. Probably should have been 2016. Likely to be outside the exchange and joined by a large Huawei cabinet next year.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 14:54:14
Print Post

How far are you from the exchange? Your downstream attenuation from your router would be useful.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by gtmcclinton:
Oops, sorry. I should know better!

Exchange is WSJOP, new cabinet listed is P4 (even though it says enabled from Jan 2014, it definitely wasn't there last week), postcode is KA6 6NZ
No, that date is when the exchange was upgraded to fibre.

Cabinet P4 Fibre Not Available (exchange ready 31st January 2014) Phase BDUK Scot Government 15a Huawei KA6 6GA
I can see that cabinet 4 is for the EO Lines.

All I could find out is the following:
Joppa

Fibre broadband is currently available to some premises in this area.

Digital Scotland plans to extend fibre broadband coverage in this area. Digital Scotland has been working to extend fibre broadband coverage in this area and premises were enabled in the period July to December 2014 Service availability is subject to available service provider product offerings and can be affected by technology constraints specific to individual circumstances. For more information and to order fibre broadband services, check with your Internet Service Provider or look on the Ofcom price comparison site http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio/price-compari...
and the following:

You are connected directly to the exchange and fibre is not available to you yet

You are connected to Joppa via an 'EO (Exchange Only) line'. This means your line is connected directly to the exchange rather than through a green roadside cabinet. It is more challenging to bring fibre to properties served by EO lines and so can take longer. We are busy working on solutions and have already connected tens of thousands of EO lines across Scotland to the fibre network.

So although faster broadband isn't available to you yet, being connected via an EO line doesn't mean you won't benefit from the Digital Scotland programme.
Now the only issue I have with EO Lines on a BDUK Project is that most of the times the cabinet(s) is that they mostly seem to be positioned very close to the exchange for ease due to how the EO Lines are routed.
This can impact what speed that you would get if your lucky enough to even be offered fibre, you may be unlucky and be just too far from the new cabinet therefore not get given fibre.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:22:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Try P4 on KA6 6GA
Yeah, its for most if not all of the EO Lines.

Only issue is like usual where are they installing the cabinet(s), probably outside the exchange.

Paul
(regular) Wed 18-Nov-15 08:53:14
Print Post

I don't believe I could be too far from any new cabinet, as I am 843m from the exchange as it stands.

There are many postcodes served by the new cabinet which are further away than I am.

Fingers crossed!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Nov-15 09:24:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by gtmcclinton:
I don't believe I could be too far from any new cabinet, as I am 843m from the exchange as it stands.

There are many postcodes served by the new cabinet which are further away than I am.

Fingers crossed!

843 metres - is that straight line or following the cable route?

As mentioned before your current downstream attenuation will give a good pointer to teh potential speeds and the distance to cabinet will be very similar to the current distance to exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to