General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:36:56
Print Post

5Gbps from Giga Clear...

[link to this post]

Sorry if I haven't seen it posted somewhere else but just saw this on Engadget of all places.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/17/uk-gigaclear-5gbp...

Regards PGre
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:22:54
Print Post

Re: 5Gbps from Giga Clear...

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

OK, I know this question always gets asked when new speeds are announced but in this case I feel it is justified - who needs 5Gbps and what are they doing??? In the current Internet world a home user would probably be just fine with the 1Gbps that Gigaclear customers can already get - 5Gbps at £399 per month is just for pure bragging rights.
Standard User farnz
(member) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:34:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I suspect it's a good way for Gigaclear to raise money.

I would be surprised if, in aggregate, the H5G customers cost more to run than H1000 customers, but they represent an extra £300/month income per customer. If no-one signs up, then it's bragging rights for Gigaclear, while if people do sign up, it's easy income.

And Gigaclear already offer 10G packages under their "Enterprise" line up, so this isn't something that's hard for Gigaclear to offer - it's based on an existing product offering.

Finally, as Gigaclear grow, it forces both Virgin Media and BT Openreach to be a lot more selective about their speed claims - the line is drawn such that "fastest home broadband in the UK" now has to exceed 5 Gbit/s.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:50:02
Print Post

[re: farnz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by farnz:
"fastest home broadband in the UK" now has to exceed 5 Gbit/s.

And that seems to be the reason for this announcement, it's just them reminding other providers they can do 5Gbps... not that they will of course...

Making the average customer understand that Gigaclear covers something like 1% of the UK compared to something like 60-80% that the current Virgin and Openreach footprint does...
Standard User keith969
(member) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:59:06
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Pointless really. No home user needs 5gbs and certainly not at that price, and anyhow they have a tiny share of the market due to lack of infrastructure.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:17:07
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

It is still good publicity, and (falsely for the reason you give) could gain them customers who aren't benefitting sufficiently from FTTC etc.

There are a lot of people out there less knowledgeable than we about what's involved, and until Openreach/Sky/TalkTalk come up with some fibre of their own and VM expand a lot more they could get quite a lot of enquiries and choose where to expand their footprint.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User keith969
(member) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:37:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good publicity certainly.

I contacted them a year or more ago about whether they would support our Oxfordshire village, they said no. So they are selective about who they want as customers.

Fortunately BT finally rolled out FTTC here in the summer, and the 45/9 speed I get is more than adequate for what I need...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-15 10:11:52
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I do wonder how much back haul and what sort of interconnects Gigaclear have. Get many people on 5Gb/s making use of it and it won't take long for contention to kick in - I'm betting they are assuming that people won't be maxing their connections for some time to come.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Nov-15 10:22:07
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I wonder if their current infrastructure is even capable of supporting a large number of Gigabit customers...

As many people who "think" they need Gigabit connections I can almost be certain that they peak above 500Mb/s maybe once in a blue moon and I doubt Gigaclear's network can support that much at one time.

BTW I forgot to mention that I'm starting a new Broadband Service, I will be supplying the fastest broadband available in the UK, 10Gbps... Ts&Cs apply coverage 0.00000000001%.... speed not guaranteed at peak times.... blah blah blah... hahah I'm faster laugh
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-15 10:33:15
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I believe there are examples of very near gigabit throughput so presumably they have enough bandwidth to support at least 1 user at top speed. The question is how big are those backhauls and what contention is as you get deeper into the network. I suspect we will never truly know as companies seldom publish details about their network capacity.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to