General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craski
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 19:45:41
Print Post

Traffic lights required to enter PCP

[link to this post]

Two weeks ago I had Openreach on site to install a new Zen phone line for "fibre" broadband. The Openreach engineer advised me he couldnt complete the install as he was not allowed to enter the PCP to fit the jumpers to the fibre cabinet. He told me they now need traffic lights at this particular PCP as it is too close to the side of the road.

I was a bit annoyed at the time having waited weeks for an appointment and then being told this on the day. Fair enough if there is a safety issue to enter the box but they must have known what box they had to go into when it was ordered, the site is within 100m of this PCP and the next nearest PCP is many miles away. Anyway ... it has now been a further two weeks (~4 weeks from initial order) and I dont even have an install/activation date yet. Its not Zen's fault but I dont get the impression anybody at Openreach is making much of an effort to make this happen.

Any advise on how to get Openreach to accelerate the order, at least give me a date?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 17-Nov-15 19:48:39
Print Post

Re: Traffic lights required to enter PCP

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Where's the box?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 19:51:04
Print Post

On PCP positioning was probably fine when originally built but roads get busier and sometimes pavements shrink a bit to widen a dodgy bit of road and while an engineer might have been ok on their stool, if they feel they'd be obstructing the pavement and causing others to have to use the road go around them, or simply did not want lorries passing with a few inches of their back they are free to report as such up the chain.

Perfect world the PCP would be relocated at a considerable cost.

This is one of those you can understand and there is discretion and if your engineer had previously had a close run-in with a vehicle at a cabinet they might not be as willing as others to open the doors and do it quickly.

Down to Zen to keep the pressure up and make sure the job is not forgotten.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:01:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

AB33 8DQ

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.2233767,-2.6329964...
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:03:02
Print Post

https://goo.gl/maps/mRYeNvRJ5rz shows it a little bit better.

Very tight and could easily get taken out by a driver not paying attention.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User craski
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:07:11
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

No denying its close to the road and if its a safety issue to enter i get that. What I'm struggling to do is get a date they are actually going to turn up with the lights to do the connection. Road restrictions require weeks of notice to the council, it just seems that nobody is driving it to make it happen.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:14:43
Print Post

There might be more to it as MrSaffron covered...

If they have to get lights every single time they need to enter the cabinet, for provision or faults (both single user and potential hardware failure), that'd be troublesome.

It is possible they are reviewing what to do longer term (i.e move/reposition) and have held any further progress on orders in progress but with that, the wholesaler still seems to indicate they are accepting orders.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:14:46
Print Post

I wonder if it is possible to simply lift the top part of the PCP box; turn it through 180 degrees and set it down again, so that any upgrades etc can be carried out from the main grass verge side?

That is, leaving the wiring etc "as-is", would it still be reasonably accessible; or would tall of the interior have to be rotated as well?
Standard User craski
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:28:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

My understanding was that the old PCP box was the main issue as that opens onto an A road. The new FTTC cabinet is also close to the road but its a far less busy B road.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 20:36:07
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I'm sorry, but really ??

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to