General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-15 09:41:42
Print Post

Any FTTP help for a broadband idiot?

[link to this post]

Hoping someone with more knowledge of broadband can help me out some.

Iím moving to a new build house and Iíve been informed that it covers FTTP, which whilst I was originally excited is proving to be a bit of a nightmare to sort out. After doing some research I realised that not everyone seems to offer FTTP service, but I finally managed to track down ZEN internet who seem to offer this, and have a fairly good reputation from what Iíve seen.

Now, ZEN were more expensive for the internet than I usually pay, but with the faster speeds and having been told that I would not require a phone line (thus making the cost about comparable to what I pay now) I was happy to go ahead, ZEN have now sent me an automated email saying that they cannot proceed without a phone line installed, but I was under the impression, from the pitch the sales guy gave me, that FTTP did not require this, is this correct? Iím waiting to hear back from ZEN about why I was asked for this, it is possible that the automated message went out in error.

My second question, Iíve been told that I will require a cable modem and a wireless router with a VLPN, ZEN do not provide these apparently, but having looked on a few forums and reading reviews I have no idea what I actually require here Ė is anyone able to point me in the right direction? Maybe even recommend a couple of options for me?
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-15 09:55:46
Print Post

Re: Any FTTP help for a broadband idiot?

[re: Stranger83] [link to this post]

Have you looked at the BT options ?

You may not like BT but on the FTTP services my experience is that they are pretty good. Once you have it installed that is !

If its a new build and has FTTP already then I'd suggested you should ask the developer for more info, since the ones around where I live already come with all the kit installed inside the property, (they just had to wait for OR to put in the fibre to the house).

Regards PGre
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-15 10:11:17
Print Post

In a very technical sense, neither copper not fibre require a voice service for a broadband service to work.

Unfortunately, that technical sense is not what happens in the UK, with BT-supplied services, right now. When you want broadband from them, it must be added on top of a voice service. The back-office (ordering, testing, monitoring, fault-handling) systems (I guess within BT Wholesale) require this.

FTTP puts some complications in the mix, certainly. In some locations, FTTP overlays copper - and the voice service is likely to remain on copper while the user gets to choose a broadband service - ADSL over copper, or GEA over FTTP. In locations with just fibre, the voice circuit becomes another set of packets on the fibre.

Openreach themselves do allow FTTP to be ordered for just broadband ... but they charge more for it when ordered standalone. In fact, so much more, that it ends up the same price as when you order both broadband and voice connections (irrespective of the voice connection method).

You will find it hard/impossible to order FTTP without a voice service.

BTW are gradually starting to trial a new product known as "WBC SOGEA" which removes the requirement for a voice line with FTTC - so requires a re-write of all those back-office systems. Don't expect it to be fully available for a couple of years; the changes, of course, ought to apply to FTTP as much as FTTC, but who knows whether that will happen...

Second question...
With FTTP, you will not need a "cable modem" or indeed any kind of modem; Openreach supply their own optical ONT to fulfil this role.

You will need a router - which only needs wireless capability if you want to access the router over wireless. It will need to be able to connect to Openreach's ONT - which usually requires a "PPP over Ethernet" capability - so the "WAN" connection port will be a full Ethernet RJ45, rather than a bare DSL/phone line RJ11 port.

Before FTTC came along, this kind of router was commonly known as a "cable router", because it wouldn't work with DSL at all - it was only a router, with no modem component. Once FTTC came out, with Openreach-supplied modems, it required routers of this form too, so the label "cable router" is something of an anachronism, but is still widely used.

Edited by WWWombat (Thu 19-Nov-15 10:12:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-15 10:30:17
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks Wombat, that is very helpful.

Iíve seen a few Ďcable routersí and was wondering if this is what I needed so that is good to know, I can get myself one of them no problem.

It sounds like ZEN have completely mis-sold me the product then, as I spent about three days going back and forth with their sales guy and he repeatedly told me that I would not need to get a phone line connected at all for this, guess Iíll have to go ahead and get the order cancelled and a refund of what Iíve already paid as I don't want to go ahead with a company thatíll lie to get my custom anyway.

I generally try to avoid BT, ever since they did something that they claim is physically impossible (connecting two homes 6 miles apart to the same phone number Ė long story, but this was when I first moved out from my parents and we both were assigned the same number), but it does sound like going with them, at least just to get the whole thing set up, may be the best idea.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 19-Nov-15 10:48:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stranger83:
It sounds like ZEN have completely mis-sold me the product then, as I spent about three days going back and forth with their sales guy and he repeatedly told me that I would not need to get a phone line connected at all for this,
That's right, you don't need a phone line at all for FTTP.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-15 13:30:34
Print Post

See this current Plusnet thread, and the one the OP of that links to later.

Plusnet do belong to BT but are far from identical.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-15 15:03:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

OK, so maybe Iím being harsh with ZEN then, it sounds like I can indeed have FTTP without the phone line Ė but that the person who is trying to organise the order wonít have been informed this (due to it still being classed as Ďnewí) Hopefully Iíll get a reply from them soon saying that they have fixed it then and my order will progress anyway.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Nov-15 18:30:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You live & learn...

Interesting change of emphasis there from Plusnet. Especially after they scrapped the FTTP trial for a while!
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Thu 19-Nov-15 18:38:33
Print Post

I had ADSL with PlusNet. We were then cabled up for FTTP. In the end I decided to go with BT for FTTP for various reasons. The copper cable still comes into my house. However, it has been disconnected at the exchange. My phone calls come in to the ONTE and the telephone is plugged in to it (called FVA I think). So whether you think that I have a telephone line is open to question. However, I still have to pay a line rental fee for the fibre line.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 20-Nov-15 12:50:29
Print Post

Hello

I'd be interested to find out where you're moving to as we're busy installing services in new developments so it's possible we may be able to help you.

Please feel free to send us a note via here or email community@hyperoptic.com. Alternatively, you can check availability via hyperoptic.com.

Good luck with your move!

Best wishes

Teodora

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to