General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:06:01
Print Post

FTTC Installation

[link to this post]

Good Afternoon,

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with a question regarding an FTTC installation?

My parents have decided to move from their existing LLU provider to an other non LLU provider. After an issue with the first order (non FTTC), we established via a ThinkBroadband article, that we could get a good FTTC deal for 12 months. So they are going ahead with it.

Here are my questions, in regards the installation and the way to improve/get the best speed.

1: Does BT Retail (the ISP) simply send out a Home Hub with some filters (mush like the old ADSL ones) or do they send out an engineer?

2: If the answer to Q1 is the Home Hub being sent out, would it be advisable for me to get a VDSL Interstitial Faceplate such as this and fit it myself?

My parents have a standard BT NTE5 which has 2 hard-wired extensions off it, so I am wondering if that's the best way to get the "max" speed from the service.

As always I appreciate any help given.

Thanks in advance.

CJT.

Now On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:13:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

1) It's self-install. They just send the Home Hub and dangly filter(s?).

2) Yes, but the default fitting then requires the Home Hub to be sited as close as possible to the master socket. It cannot be sited at an extension. It is easy to alter that, but then a dangly would be needed at the chosen extension and there can be an effect on speed.

Re the extensions, the interstitial faceplate takes care of the filtering for those and any dangly filters on them can be removed. Except as above.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:15:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good Afternoon RobertoS

As always that was a lightening fast reply, thank you laugh

The existing router is right next to their NTE5 and it won't be moved, so that seems to be the best way forward.

laugh

CJT.

Now On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to