General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eddiewww
(newbie) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:21:19
Print Post

Using Plusnet Hub One as Fibre modem

[link to this post]

Hi,

I upgraded my broadband to fibre with Plusnet last night. A very painful experience and the guy really didn't know what he was talking about. He went on for ages about this new router and it will pop through my letterbox, i'll get a text in a few days, plug it in and that's it no engineer! Then he told me the engineer would visit me on the 3rd Dec to swap out the faceplate on my socket, then said he wouldn't need to visit, then i got an email saying it was on hold till 4th Dec!!

I had a similar debacle when i got the copper installed and ended up buying a router as they were incapable of delivering one. It was a good choice as when the PlusNet router eventually turned up i was completely underwhelmed!

I bought a TP-Link Archer D9 AC1900 as it was capable of running VDSL, however now it comes to the crunch i read i need to connect it to a fibre modem.

So i was wondering how i could utilise the hub one as a modem and keep the TP Link as my main "router"?

Would it be as simple as hooking up the hub one as it should be and connecting the TP Link to it in "bridged mode"?

Here's hoping!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:42:19
Print Post

Re: Using Plusnet Hub One as Fibre modem

[re: eddiewww] [link to this post]

The Hub One would need to support a bridge mode, your simplest option is to run the Archer in a wireless access point mode.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eddiewww
(newbie) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:48:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Hub One would need to support a bridge mode, your simplest option is to run the Archer in a wireless access point mode.

Thanks Andrew, yes, i think that's what i meant.. the router has 2 options:

DSL Modem Router Mode (which is what it is now)
or
Wireless Router Mode

So i assume i select that mode and connect it to the Hub One which will connect to the phone socket.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Nov-15 14:16:39
Print Post

[re: eddiewww] [link to this post]

Wireless router mode would be the wrong thing.

A wireless router is very different to a wireless access point.

An access point just converts Ethernet to wireless and will do not NAT processing i.e. DHCP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eddiewww
(newbie) Fri 20-Nov-15 15:19:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Wireless router mode would be the wrong thing.

A wireless router is very different to a wireless access point.

An access point just converts Ethernet to wireless and will do not NAT processing i.e. DHCP.

Thanks Andrew, just had a read up about converting my router into an access point and seems relatively straight forward..so just waiting for PlusNet now

Thanks again.
  Print Thread

Jump to