General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Storm_Force
(regular) Fri 20-Nov-15 21:51:02
Print Post

Why has BT dsl halved esitmated speeds?

[link to this post]

My next door neighbour is thinking about upgrading to FTTC, I ran his number through the BT checker it is nearly half my estimate. I then put my number is and mine too has changed.

Here is what it used to say:

FTTC A Range High 48.7 Low 33.8

It now says

FTTC A Range High 26.1 Low 17

Any idea's why the change? For info my current speed is over 30mb

Cab 5 Hatherleigh
Standard User edwincluck
(member) Sat 21-Nov-15 05:45:09
Print Post

Re: Why has BT dsl halved esitmated speeds?

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Storm_Force:
Any idea's why the change?

So as not to disappoint? In anticipation of increasing crosstalk, and ever lower syncs, as take-up increases?

P.S. You've let a stray apostrophe fly into the forum. (Latin: apostrophicus superfluosis)
PM Batboy about it. He's an avid collector of, and fount of knowledge on apostrophe's of all kind's.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 21-Nov-15 11:39:29
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwincluck:
PM Batboy about it. He's an avid collector of, and fount of knowledge on apostrophe's of all kind's.
Apostrophes are not my thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(member) Sat 21-Nov-15 11:51:34
Print Post

They've deluiberately reduced the estimates.

When I signed up back in July, I was getting 54Mbps download, its now only 43Mbps. I guess because of more people signing up and crosstalk.

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Nov-15 19:01:40
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keith969:
They've deluiberately reduced the estimates.
Why the use of 'deliberately'? What are you trying to imply?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Storm_Force
(regular) Sat 21-Nov-15 20:29:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I guess you are right perhaps they are now under estimating the speeds.
For example I get an estimate of 25mb and get 30mb I am happy however if I get an estimate of 40mb and get 25mb then its endless phone calls complaining about not getting the estimated speed!

Edited by Storm_Force (Sat 21-Nov-15 20:30:41)

Standard User edwincluck
(member) Sun 22-Nov-15 01:29:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Storm_Force:
I guess you are right perhaps they are now under estimating the speeds. For example I get an estimate of 25mb and get 30mb I am happy however if I get an estimate of 40mb and get 25mb then its endless phone calls complaining about not getting the estimated speed!

Our 'estimate' is down by more than half of what it was 18 months ago. BT finally recognises that, for many, its superfast broadband is a pig-in-a-poke. As with any product or service, a reputable (haha!) supplier should never over-state its potential. That's what BT initially did. Only encouraging complaints and disappointment.

BT's under-estimating of possible FTTC speeds is now widespread across the country.

With estimates being so savagely cut, BT must be well aware that FTTC is gonna get a lot worse in the future, as crosstalk really takes bite.

And with no mitigation available - BT has flumped on vectoring-capable kit that might have helped - nothing in the medium-term can solve it.

The only practical remedy if FTTC isn't going to be ditched altogether - and can't see that happening any time soon - is to rip out and replace all the DSLAMs in the street cabinets for vectoring-capable ones. And turn off all the LLU providers' DSLAMs at the exchange too.

FTTC - an annoying case of like it or lump it. BT had the chance to build a superfast fibre network, future-proofed for a generation to come, but instead it blundered and bought cheap, as usual.

Edited by edwincluck (Sun 22-Nov-15 02:25:36)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Nov-15 08:49:24
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwincluck:
FTTC - an annoying case of like it or lump it. BT had the chance to build a superfast fibre network, future-proofed for a generation to come, but instead it blundered and bought cheap, as usual.
You're exaggerating. BT's FTTC is doing fine. It's clearly providing most people with at least as much as they want - plenty of people aren't even interested in the top-tier package. As ever BT have just about managed to keep up with what most people want and the forthcoming G.FAST/FTTPoD upgrade should keep that trend going.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User keith969
(member) Sun 22-Nov-15 10:43:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The implication is that the original estimates were too optimistic. Now they're more inline with what I actually get (which btw has gone down from 54Mbps in July to 43Mbps now)

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User B31
(regular) Sun 22-Nov-15 11:28:17
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Yeah, they did this on my broadband

It was estimated at 6 Mbps when I signed up.

It now states 1-1.5 Mbps!

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to