General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User axesgamedev
(newbie) Sun 22-Nov-15 18:05:39
Print Post

fttc arriving? All in one cabinet recently installed?

[link to this post]

Hello,

The village has been stuck on adsl max since 2006, I have not seen an openreach van since then... until a few days ago! They put a massive Huawei 288 up in the verge, except its the wrong way round tongue I looked it up and its actually an all in one, here's a picture I took:

http://i.imgur.com/r4aeXJu.jpg

As you can see the little door is on the left instead of the right like in a normal cab. I looked it up on this website and it seems to confirm my suspicions:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

We currently don't even have a pcp here so this is a nice addition, currently everyone is connected to another village a couple miles away.
Can some smart people here also confirm this? or am I going mad?

Thanks,
Joseph

Current Speed:
5.5mbps down, 0.3mbps up on ADSLMax

Provider:
EE

Edited by axesgamedev (Sun 22-Nov-15 18:11:13)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Nov-15 18:11:42
Print Post

Re: fttc arriving? All in one cabinet recently installed?

[re: axesgamedev] [link to this post]

It's an all in one cabinet
(newbie) Sun 22-Nov-15 18:16:35
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yay! I presume they will move the lines over to the new pcp some time in the future? A few weeks or months?

Current Speed:

Provider:
EE

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awontroba
(learned) Mon 23-Nov-15 02:15:18
Print Post

I think it is a matter of having people with the necessary skills available.

In my case, the all on one was stood, my line changed in the checker from being EO to through a cabinet a fortnight or so later, another fortnight for FTTC to show as available. I ordered ... and it took 6 weeks and 3 appointments and a lot of hassling from Plusnet for BT OR to actually install FTTC.

--
Adrian
(newbie) Mon 23-Nov-15 07:29:27
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information about your experience!

Current Speed:

Provider:
EE
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 19:51:33
Print Post

Quick Update:

Power has now been installed to the cabinet, about 2 weeks after it was installed, things seem to be going on track tongue I guess a couple more weeks now for it to be hooked up to the existing copper and some new fibre installed on the posts. Then a few more weeks to move everyone across to it. I expect it will take about another month or maybe 2. I will probably end up finally being able to order fibre in the new year probably some time late February.

Thanks,
Joseph

Current Speed:

Provider:
EE
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 06:26:11
Print Post

I sent you a PM Joseph.

Paul
Standard User sidef
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 16:34:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by axesgamedev:
Hello,

The village has been stuck on adsl max since 2006, I have not seen an openreach van since then... until a few days ago! They put a massive Huawei 288 up in the verge, except its the wrong way round tongue I looked it up and its actually an all in one, here's a picture I took:

http://i.imgur.com/r4aeXJu.jpg

As you can see the little door is on the left instead of the right like in a normal cab. I looked it up on this website and it seems to confirm my suspicions:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

We currently don't even have a pcp here so this is a nice addition, currently everyone is connected to another village a couple miles away.
Can some smart people here also confirm this? or am I going mad?

Thanks,
Joseph

Similar situation in my village, we are connected to a PCP and VDSL enabled cabinet 1.5 miles away (Winterslow PCP1). Wiltshire have been saying that we will get our own cabinet but its been a long time coming - we should have been done under GWB phase 14b which was stage 1 of the original BDUK contract due to finish 31st March 2016.

Unbelievably the original cabinet location was rejected after the householder objected. Then Wilts couldn't identify suitable public land in the village - I identified the eventual location. OR duct work was rearranged 4 times.

9 new access chambers had to be built in the duct run and there were 17 blockages in just a 0.5 mile stretch. Today our all in one turned up - Winterslow PCP5 - complete with dents in cabinet.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2302/UdK4fr.jpg

Of interest the RH "copper" side has the conventional Tri head round lock top and bottom, the LH "VDSL" side has star head round locks - I guess this is an additional safeguard to ensure only the "correct" side of the cabinet is opened by service engineers.

Pics of dents here:

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6275/pXXnZq.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1848/GnRbUB.jpg

Just to add to the comedy of delays, no power duct has been laid, only OR ducts to the nearby road chamber, so the cabinet will need to be dug up again.

Fibre still needs to be blown from the aggregation point - the guide duct is installed as far as the road chamber, and the copper rearrangement done.
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Mon 18-Apr-16 18:52:40
Print Post

I suppose it depends on your local setup but I'd look fairly often after a couple of months as to when you can order it. February? I'd expect it to be up and running much sooner. For instance, our cabinet went live within 3 months of it being placed in position and we're a good 3.5km from the next village where our phone lines originated from.

Funny enough we all ended up looking at the wrong cabinet. The one that we were originally supplied from for ADSL got delayed and we thought that meant us too. They gave ours a new number! So the surprise was even the greater when our local BDUK provider said orders could be placed.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Apr-16 20:16:31
Print Post

[re: sidef] [link to this post]

There should be power duct into the cabinet when the base was laid. The DNO just need to join up with it and pull the cable in.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to