General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FatR
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-15 16:35:01
Print Post

Moved cabinets but still no fibre

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Luckily and it appears unusually I've recently moved from a non fibre cabinet to an fibre enabled one. Kellys Infrastructure were doing some work on my estate and realised that our lines had been routed to a distant cabinet instead of the one 50m from the estate, apparently the rest of the village didn't want our filthy new estate on their cabinet so we were routed to the next one with a mile round trip. Sensing the injustice, Kelly's moved us to the near cabinet, removing the loop of doom and increasing my ADSL speed from 2 to 8Mbps.

A kindly man with a gold tooth explained that as soon as they had closed off the job then the database should update and I would be able to get fibre, this was a couple of months ago. About a week and a half ago, the openreach cabinet checker updated and reflected my new cabinet.

The problem is, this check still has no mention of fibre, the official openreach broadband checker also doesn't show fibre which means I cannot order it. I've checked a phone number on the same cabinet (which is not moved) and they show as being able to get fibre.

My question is, is this a technical issue? Should all lines on the same cabinet be able to get fibre providing they are close (I am) and the cabinet is not a capacity. Does some check or procedure need to be re-run to check these moved lines for compatablity with fibre.

Or is this a database error? Maybe as this is small number of lines (20 or so) that have moved instead of a cabinet upgrade, could it be they simply haven't been updated?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 27-Nov-15 17:29:35
Print Post

Re: Moved cabinets but still no fibre

[re: FatR] [link to this post]

What cabinet does the check put you on?

The database update is not automatic. It will require some manual work within BT to enter the changes and then they will filter through. You will need to give it a week to 10 days.

And a correction. I doubt if Kelly's decided to move you. BT Openreach will have instructed them to do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User FatR
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-15 17:41:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The cabinet is Cricklade E1. The checker now puts me on this cabinet but doesn't show fibre for my specific number.

Rob.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 27-Nov-15 17:52:43
Print Post

What does the checker actually say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User FatR
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-15 18:32:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

See the results for firstly my line and secondly another line on the same cabinet that was not moved

My Line

Telephone Number 01793XXXXxx on Exchange CRICKLADE is served by Cabinet E1
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Other line on same cabinet

Telephone Number 01793xxxxxx on Exchange CRICKLADE is served by Cabinet E1
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 71.3 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 66.8 20 19 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4.5 -- 3 to 7 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4.5 Up to 0.5 3 to 7 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Nov-15 00:11:44
Print Post

What's your postcode and optional the door number, you can PM it to me and I will take a look and send the results back.

Paul
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-15 06:26:17
Print Post

The rest of the village has decided that, even if they can't stop this filthy new estate from being on their cabinet, they certainly don't want to share crosstalk with you.

Sensing a coming injustice, the local councillor has taken matter into his own hands, much like Kellys, and fudged BT's database for them.

Fantasy? Perhaps a bit too much like a visit from the gold tooth fairy.

Back to reality...

The likelihood in your case is that a database update hasn't happened correctly/completely. In particular, records relating to a phone number don't get updated at the same time as records relating to the property. They *can* update around 48 hours later, but they can also remain different.

What happens if you use the BTW checker, but choose the "address" option instead of the "phone number" option (but don't choose the "postcode" option)? Once faced with the request for the full address, only put the postcode in, and you'll be given a set of addresses to choose from. From that page, you'll be able to see the results for a selection of properties...
Standard User FatR
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-15 08:10:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It's updated! I've just checked this morning and it looks like the database is now correct.

Thanks for your advice.

Rob.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Nov-15 09:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by FatR:
It's updated! I've just checked this morning and it looks like the database is now correct.

Thanks for your advice.

Rob.
Yeah, I was about to say the two in the PM both have FTTC BTOR are saying speeds of 80/20 and the BTWholesale DSL Checker says about the same.

Paul
Standard User FatR
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-15 09:31:22
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Paul, Thanks for checking. Putting in my order now smile

Rob.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to