General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:15:14
Print Post

Roadworks.com fibre

[link to this post]

Hey everyone, i have recently been looking at roadworks.com because the village next to me has recently got fibre optic installed. I have been waiting ages for fibre optic and my current download speed is 1 megabit at the peak. A few days ago i saw this on my village from roadworks.com:

"Install 6m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,Provide, Renew or Recover 2 DSLAM street cabinet and base..." and "Install 4m of 1 way power duct in Footway,Install 8m of 1 way power duct in Carriageway,Performing a..." between 14-16 December.

Hopefully this means that i should be getting fibre optic. Can anyone confirm this? I am also currently on an EO line, will this make a difference?

Many thanks
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:40:40
Print Post

Re: Roadworks.com fibre

[re: 11suttoj] [link to this post]

I think you mean www.roadworks.org smile

Sounds promising, have you been looking at the local council and BT 'where and when' websites to see if what plans they are publishing?

I believe EO lines are an issue. An FTTC cabinet needs to be installed by/in the exchange to overcome this.
EDIT: I've just found your earlier thread from July - there's a comment there about the possibility of moving your local EO lines to a cabinet that some locals are using.

Edited by b4dger (Sun 29-Nov-15 12:47:30)

Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:45:55
Print Post

Yes it does sound like FTTC is being installed but being on a EO line means they need to build a new cabinet outside the exchange, they have done this already in my village even before my cabinet which isn't EO is live so I don't think EO lines get forgotten about like they used too.

I wouldn't get too excited just yet though, I first saw on roadworks.org that a new Fibre cab for my line was being installed in February (8 months ago!) but it only eventually did get fitted about 2-3 weeks ago and still expect it to be after Christmas before it goes live.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:49:51
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, well that is a problem. On where and when for my number is says:

"Exchange name: Sinderby

Superfast Fibre is in your area but we can't tell by your postcode/number if you can get it right now. Please contact your communications provider, who can check using your phone number"

However with other houses in my village it says:

"Exchange name: Sinderby

Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later."

I think the fact that i'm on an EO line is quite a problem, but i was hoping that the fact they said they are installing 2 cabinets would mean they would be doing something about the EO lines. I am also a massive 6km away from the exchange and around half of the houses are EO.
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:55:15
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

I bet that has been really annoying with the big delay! Atleast you should be getting it soon! smile The fact that i am 6km away from the exchange and on an EO line is making me think i might not get fibre optic. Thanks for the reply.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-15 12:59:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by 11suttoj:
...I am also a massive 6km away from the exchange and around half of the houses are EO.
That's a long EO line! FTTC won't work at that distance. You've got to hope there's a closer cabinet being installed for you to benefit...

Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:06:41
Print Post

I remember reading that they only made houses EO when the houses were 1-3 km away from the exchange. Do you have any idea why i am connected to the exchange when i am 6km away? Surely it would be harder for them to do that than connect my to the cabinet.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:12:48
Print Post

Sorry, I've no idea.

Have you checked the site you mentioned before www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com for any updates that might help you?

Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:28:11
Print Post

Unfortunately all it says on super fast NorthYorkshire is:

High Quality Wireless
Multiple Service Providers Selected (1/3)
Technology:
High Quality Wireless
Availability:
Available

It doesn't seem to give any updates or anything.
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:46:53
Print Post

Thanks for the information badger, i really appreciate it. Do you know whether the the cabinet would be close or not?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to