General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-15 18:55:49
Print Post

FttC install questions (possibly stupid, would rather check)

[link to this post]

I've ordered FttC with BT and currently on a BT line, I've chosen an engineer install which is scheduled for next week but after reading here for a bit I've a couple of questions I'd like clarified just to make sure everything goes ok during the install.

The problem is what I think is the master socket (it doesn't have a socket on the faceplate but does have a test socket underneath from what I recall) is in a cloakroom underneath the stairs which isn't suitable for the router anyway plus there's no power there. Will the engineer still fit a new socket within 30m? How much complexity will they accept, at the moment the router is in the lounge which is across from the cloakroom so the cable would need to come out the cloakroom then over four door frames to make it round to the lounge. Do I need to arrange this specifically ahead of the visit? (there was no option I could see for it on the order) I've seen differing comments on this recently and a couple of local friends who have had fibre installed and the engineer wouldn't fit a socket in a different room, they had to use the master socket.

I know depending on the way the extensions are wired it's possible to convert one of those for the fibre router but unfortunately the two suitable downstairs sockets have sky boxes plugged into them so I can't do it with them.

Thanks,
John
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:25:44
Print Post

Re: FttC install questions (possibly stupid, would rather ch

[re: Johnmcl7] [link to this post]

These problems will all be resolved when the engineer comes to install the service. Make it where you would like the router to be located, and the engineer will discuss the various options for doing as you request.

This is why your choicer an engineer install was the correct thing to do.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:56:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

As long as it's an Openreach person.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 21:32:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As long as it's an Openreach person.

Agreed, but I didn't want to confuse the OP .....

...... or risk the wrath of the 'Cluck bird' again wink

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Nov-15 21:57:50
Print Post

I think he may be on an induced holiday, following his unprovoked attacks on Adrian and you.

His first one on you was really funny. It was in a thread where he accused someone of not even spelling their own real name correctly, with his following post and the next one about you misspelling your username.

I really chuckled.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 30-Nov-15 22:00:20)

Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-15 22:02:41
Print Post

What are the options then if it isn't an Openreach person? As the router can't go onto the master socket if they refuse to fit an extension then I'd have to cancel the install. Are there any particular areas the non-Openreach engineers operate? I'm in the North of Scotland so not a big place at all.

Edit - I've seen references to non-Openreach contractors, I assume that's what is being referred to?

Thanks,
John

Edited by Johnmcl7 (Mon 30-Nov-15 22:36:34)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 22:37:50
Print Post

There is a chance that the install may be done by a Kellys or Quinns bod, sub contractors to Openreach. These guys get paid on the number of jobs they do, so sometimes anything looks likely to take longer than usual, they try to wriggle out of it. But not always. Stand your ground, be firm that where you want it is where you want it.

They aren't all bad, it's just more likely to hear when it goes wrong than if they did a bang tidy job.

Don't panic.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 22:41:06
Print Post

I think he may be on an induced holiday

Or flown South for the winter ? Yaaay.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Nov-15 23:10:27
Print Post

As Zarjaz says. They are generally capable of doing the job, but this sort of thing they try to wriggle out of. Most users don't know this so accept what they are told.

You have been forewarned so forearmed. BT have probably ordered the extra work just in case it is required, (before self-install they always did, but I can't be sure they still do). As Zarjaz says, stand your ground and be firm.

I would try to check with BT Sales that the "Data Extension Kit" (which Openreach call the "Home Wiring Solution") has been ordered. Assuming it has, you will be on very strong ground.

Standard User awontroba
(learned) Tue 01-Dec-15 05:46:25
Print Post

As an example of Kelly wriggling: The man who turned up for my second FTTC installation appointment claimed to have no access to the All in One cabinet, and that he would not be allowed to work on it anyway. I barely managed to restrain myself from asking why the **** he had come at all.

The BT OR man who came for the third appointment did the job.

The first appointment was a no show, which due to some internal BT problem never got as far as being assigned to an engineer. BT of course did not tell anybody about this until I complained to my ISP about the no show and they asked what had happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw could be about BT, not AT&T.

--
Adrian
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to