General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User p3k4y
(newbie) Tue 01-Dec-15 12:16:13
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet Query

[link to this post]

Hi

This is my first post but I have used these forums a lot in the past for information, from way way back in the old FRIACO pre-ADSL days smile

I live in Penistone (Penistone exchange) which is connected to cabinet 19. It seems the majority of the rest of the exchange cabinets have FTTC already, but still after many years of FTTC at the *exchange* cabinet 19 does not have it and it seems very odd, as a lot of the houses are new build and I expect there would be a large take up for BT.

I've been keeping an eye on roadworks.org etc for a while with no indication of anything happening, does anyone have any advice on how it may be possible to check if/when our cabinet may be FTTC enabled?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 15:08:25
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Query

[re: p3k4y] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by p3k4y:
Hi

This is my first post but I have used these forums a lot in the past for information, from way way back in the old FRIACO pre-ADSL days smile

I live in Penistone (Penistone exchange) which is connected to cabinet 19. It seems the majority of the rest of the exchange cabinets have FTTC already, but still after many years of FTTC at the *exchange* cabinet 19 does not have it and it seems very odd, as a lot of the houses are new build and I expect there would be a large take up for BT.

I've been keeping an eye on roadworks.org etc for a while with no indication of anything happening, does anyone have any advice on how it may be possible to check if/when our cabinet may be FTTC enabled?
Well only 11 out of the 24 cabinets have been upgraded to FTTC, also due to them being down as far as I can see part of the Commercial Project, the last cabinet was done just under 2.5 years ago, also being a commercial project it will have been delayed in favour of the BDUK Projects due to their contractual deadlines, what makes it worse is if they are down as being part of the Commercial FTTP Project, then it can take longer to rollout.

Also FTTP rollouts won't show up on the roadworks site if they don't need to get any planning permission like for digging, closing of parts of roads etc. This can be very frustrating.

As far as I can see that cabinet is down as under review, as for the rest I haven't checked those yet.

Paul
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-15 18:44:22
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

As @PaulKirby points out, the only cabinets done so far have all been commercial. That means that no BDUK scheme has come forward to upgrade anything else, yet.

My first thought was that you were part of Kirklees council in West Yorkshire (ie around Huddersfield), which refused to take part in BDUK phase 1.

However, I double-checked, and you are in the Barnsley council area ... which originally took part in the South Yorkshire Digital Region. Because of that, Barnsley didn't take part in phase 1 of BDUK either.

With the collapse of SYDR, the area has signed up for BDUK phase 2, so things might change going forward, and more cabinets might get upgraded.

The place to check is:
http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/
The map, on the bottom of the page here:
http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/sfsy/where
suggests 2017 for areas around Penistone.

I note that Barnsley itself (with 140 cabinets) is currently earmarked for 4 BDUK-subsidised cabinets, 2 of which have gone live. Not huge progress so far...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User p3k4y
(newbie) Tue 01-Dec-15 19:17:17
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks, those are really useful links. Cabinet 19 is basically right under the penistone railway station blob on the map, which is firmly within the blue 2017 zone.

I guess still plenty of waiting ahead then!
Standard User p3k4y
(newbie) Tue 01-Dec-15 19:22:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Actually looking at that map more closely, it looks like the blue line you can see running through Penistone runs exactly along the roads where the digital region fiber was laid.

I assume that fiber is now sat doing essentially nothing until the BDUK project pays for it to be resurrected?
Standard User MacLe0d
(newbie) Tue 01-Dec-15 20:07:49
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Hi

Well only 11 out of the 24 cabinets have been upgraded to FTTC, also due to them being down as far as I can see part of the Commercial Project, the last cabinet was done just under 2.5 years ago, also being a commercial project it will have been delayed in favour of the BDUK Projects due to their contractual deadlines, what makes it worse is if they are down as being part of the Commercial FTTP Project, then it can take longer to rollout.

Also FTTP rollouts won't show up on the roadworks site if they don't need to get any planning permission like for digging, closing of parts of roads etc. This can be very frustrating.

Paul

Work might show up if his Local Authority has a road works site. WHen I check roadworks.org nothing shows up, however when I check my Locaul Authroity roadwroks site, it shows up work lfor BT on clearing ducts etc...
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 21:11:32
Print Post

[re: MacLe0d] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MacLe0d:
Work might show up if his Local Authority has a road works site. WHen I check roadworks.org nothing shows up, however when I check my Locaul Authroity roadwroks site, it shows up work lfor BT on clearing ducts etc...
That's because BT needed permission to do something like doing some digging to get access to they underground network that is blocked, or maybe to close off an area while they work, i.e. for safety etc.

Anything else that doesn't require planning permission wont show up on the roadworks site.

And yes the council in question also has to be subscribing to the roadworks network to also show up.

Paul
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-15 10:43:02
Print Post

I assume that fiber is now sat doing essentially nothing until the BDUK project pays for it to be resurrected?

As I understand it, GEO (later acquired by Zayo) bought up the fibre assets of SYDR, with the intention of including it (in some way) in their national network.

However, I don't really see any of it on this map:
http://www.zayo.com/solutions/global-network/uk-irel...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:28:35
Print Post

As things like connectors and precise layout won't be much use even if BT had bought the DR assets (which they did not) they would probably rip it out.

The fibre part of the cabinet roll-out includes support GPON FTTP as far as the aggregation node that is where the fibre going to a cabinet splits out from the large bundles. It is highly likely that this was never present in the DR roll-out.

For all the moans at Openreach for not doing FTTP, the fibres are there ready for when they think they can make money from taking the fibre the final 500m to 1000m to homes. This is an often overlooked area and is also why in some BDUK areas you suddenly find one postcode with FTTP available and also FTTC, i.e. seeing some business premises get P as well as C.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to